Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intact Roman vexillum from Egypt
Any deliberate fringe would most likely be the ends of the warp threads when the fabric came off the loom. The warp ends need to be finished and one method is to tie off the threads in small bunches which create the fringe. Another is to use a type of blanket stitch along the edge of the weft to stop the weft thread unravelling. The warp threads can then be trimmed, or left as a fringe. At least that's what my partner does with her weavings. She wove a banner for our club last year in linen and one end (the lower) is fringed. One can of course cover the edge with say tablet or inkle braid as another means to stop the cloth unravelling. The sides of the cloth have a selvedge, so don't need hemming. I would expect a vexillum to be woven to size. One doesn't waste cloth when it is so labour intensive to make.
As an aside, I have always thought the fringe on the pteryges of a subarmalis is made from the warp threads, suggesting at least some of it is woven material.

Regards

Peter MacKinnon
Sydney Ancients
Krzysztof,

Very nice. Finally something that is more like reality instead of the usual logo appearance.

I will also shortly complete my vexillum and I painted the details using milk paints, which is also historically accurate. Once the paint was dry, I rubbed bees wax over the surface.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Don't forget to rub the wax on the BACK of the cloth, too. Rain comes from all directions...just sayin'.
Wink
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hello David,

Good idea. I totally did not think about that. :oops:

However, I am not going to wax the whole flag, only the décor.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
That looks awesome!. I will have to try this painting technique.
Quote:Legio XXI Rapax new vexillvm - a damn accurate one :-) It’s made of hand woven linen, not cut or sewn, just natural width, hand dyed in red and also hand fringed.

That looks awesome!. I will have to try this painting technique.
Hello everyone,

A slightly older topic, I know.

I was wondering - does anyone know of somewhat more recent research on (early Imperial) vexilla since Rostovtzeff's article? It's quite a helpful overview of some practical aspects, but in the meantime it's been 72 years again...
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Shield from Didymoi fort ( Egypt) - III AD lucius Gellius cuniculus 7 2,731 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman army in Egypt germanslinger37 6 2,529 02-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Last Post: germanslinger37
  Roman soldiers in Egypt Marcus Mummius 9 2,596 12-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius