Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2,400 Year-Old Jade Sword Fittings?
Back to you, David

Thank you for the links. Wink

Trusdale wrote his report for the Smithsonian in 1975, and he remains the authority on scabbard slides. His work is available online as a PDF. For the swords read Simonenko, Sarmatian Riders of the North Pontic Steppe. He defined the Chinese longsword as "Sarmatian Type I," but it came to Europe with the Rhoxalani and Aorsi, 1st Century BC to 1st Century AD. The iron longsword was introduced into China about 300 BC by the Yuezhi (Saka) who lived between the Altai and Gansu. They also introduced trousers, boots, and "barbarian" archery tactics to the army of Lord Wuling of Zhao.

The Chinese then improved the iron sword by using bronze-sword techniques-- "soft in the middle (iron), hard outside (steel)." My sword blades are made by Chinese smiths in the traditional manner.

An original iron longsword from the Ural steppe.

Two Type I Sarmatian swords. For reenactment,  I carry the longest, and my grandson Devyn carries the shorter one.

A Han-era scabbard slide with 2 chilongs, mother and baby. I can't afford to have jade carved, so this is a brass reproduction.

Anyway, good luck with your experimental archaeology. Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
2,400 Year-Old Jade Sword Fittings? - by Alanus - 04-02-2015, 12:08 AM
2,400 Year-Old Jade Sword Fittings? - by Alanus - 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM
2,400 Year-Old Jade Sword Fittings? - by Alanus - 04-03-2015, 12:03 AM