Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring-mail cap from Iron Age Denmark
[attachment=3485]3980791767_8bd6283a5b_o.jpg[/attachment]
Hi everyone!

I found this picture of a mail cap from Iron Age Denmark. I've heard of this find before, but I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of some documentation on this find (when exactly it was dated to, where it was found, in what context, etc.)? It seems to be that it would have been worn with a thick, fabric cap underath it to absorb shock from blows.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
Is that the actual artifact in the photo or a reconstruction?
I only ask because it looks like butted mail?
Which brings me to my next question, was butted mail used in this period?
But then I guess you are looking for the answers too!
Interesting! Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As far as I know all of the mail that was initially classed as butted has turned out to be riveted after more detailed examination. It is possible that butted links were used by the restorers to repair it. Which museum is it in? What is its provenance?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Dan, Did you ask Palle about this find yet?
He has some connections to people in Denmark who should know more about this interesting find?
Jasper Cobelens
Be a bit cautious with the term Iron Age in a Scandinavian context.
Why : this term is often used for the Pre Viking era in Scandinavia because they simply did not have a Roman era in that region.
What is the dating of this artifact?
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I've often wondered about that. Were the Romans not part of the Iron Age? Some people seem to think that the Iron Age always refers to non-Roman civilizations that were contemporary with the Romans. If you think about it, we're still IN the Iron Age, though our "iron" is considerably more varied and repeatable alloys are the norm today.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Iron age is a period. Romans are a civilization.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Garrelt and Christian are right. 'Roman' is part of the Iron age (hence the term PRIA or pre-Roman Iron Age). It's a common enough mistake here in the Dutch press, when for instance sites are discovered outside the Roman empire: journalists have often written stories such as 'Roman ovens found outside the Empire'. :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
..but usually is iron age not assotiated with the Romans; the archaeological chronology tell us a different point of this fact. If the archaeologists speaks about iron age in middle Europe - the place where the Romans were aswell - they mean allways the pre-roman period and not a roman period. After the Romans (roman time of their civilisation) they speak about the cultures and the Romans were the culture (civilisation otherwise).
The other fact is the iron age in Scandinavia.
We must know the indigenous cultural&chronological propherties of the archaeological terms.
It is the same big problem with transmission the term Celts on the british time&area. Historical were the Celts destroyed and their culture finished in the 1. cent. BC because: the Celts = la Tene culture (somewhere old iron age culture or Hallstatt culture = Celts, too).
But if i read the posts of the Brits or other english speaking people (also here on RAT) - they use the term Celts (celtic culture, celtic swords, etc ...) = Britons = non-roman people in G. Britain in AD time, not in the pre-roman time. It is not ok this meaning.

The archaeological chronology is not the same with the culture, ethnic=tribal groups, etc ...
It is totally ok, if the item belongs to the Scandinavian iron age culture. I don't have problems with this notation.

Joze
I like LH
Iron Age / WP
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:I've often wondered about that. Were the Romans not part of the Iron Age? Some people seem to think that the Iron Age always refers to non-Roman civilizations that were contemporary with the Romans. If you think about it, we're still IN the Iron Age, though our "iron" is considerably more varied and repeatable alloys are the norm today.
I tend to use it as the period in Eurasian history from the end of the 2nd millenium BCE to the middle of the first millennium CE. Archaeologists of different countries sometimes have a more specific definition in the context of dating archaeological finds.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Iron Age / WP

It is good article and:
1:european timeline has the Roman culture in separate online items - not here in the article about the IA (suggest on my meaning)
2: ""Western Europe

Hill forts spread across Europe in the Iron Age and Maiden Castle in England is one of the largest.[29][30] Photograph taken in 1935 by Major George Allen (1891–1940).
The 'Celtic' culture had expanded to the group of islands of northwest Europe (Insular Celts) and Iberia (Celtiberians, Celtici and Gallaeci). On the British Isles, the British Iron Age lasted from about 800 BC[31] until the Roman Conquest and until the 5th century in non-Romanised parts.""
3: ""Northern Europe

The Iron Age north of the Alps is divided into the Pre-Roman Iron Age and the Roman Iron Age""
I like LH
Hey Dan,

I saw this in Kalkriese in 2009. According to the sign in the exhibition it´s dating to the 1./2. century. I will see if can find out the name of the place where it was found.

Klaus
Quote:I will see if can find out the name of the place where it was found.

That would be great! Thank you.

Cheers,
Martijn
Came across this site http://www.archive.org/stream/denmarkine...t_djvu.txt

A lot of text and the pictures are missing.
Ring-mail is mentioned, but no ring-mail cap
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae