Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live steel accident
Quote:Only came across it for the first time last week, saw one episode and the others al llooked the same...lol
They did, didn't they... :?
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:http://germanherald.com/news/Germany_in_...t_Clubbing

Really tragic accident with live steel combat. I was wondering how this would be handled in the various countries of our members, insurance, police, etc. Could it be treated as attempted homicide if it were discovered the two had had an argument the day before?
It wasn't a fight with blunt steel, but with Rawlings synthetic longswords. It appears that they broke the cardinal rule "never wear a helmet whose largest opening will admit the smallest part of your opponent's weapon."

My German is very limited, but I think the original story says that they were sparring (having an Ubungskampf) in a rented hall at a restaraunt when the accident happened. Other than what the article says, I have no knowledge of the group or what they were doing (historical martial arts, or having a bash?)
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Absolutely spot on, playing with weapons, blunted or otherwise, is always going to be a hazard but it is about mitigating the risk and I can't see in an un-choreographed routine why head-shots are required.

I am commenting in general rather than any specific incident becuase I don nto know enough about them.

As a matter of course before we take to the field all members (no matter how experienced) recieve a Health & Safety talk as a reminder, complacency is the biggest danger of all.
Marc Byrne
A tragic accident , Never good to hear about things like this Sad
Simon Burrows.