Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Painful Discovery
My spam filter did not recognize an e-mail with an advertisement for a "Roma Victrix" beaker (see attach).

This would not in itself be terribly painful, but the message I now found, contained praise for this object by well-known writers: Goldsworthy (whom I appreciate), Matyszak, Scarrow. That they have allowed themselves to be used for spam, will certainly not make me look forward to reading or buying their books.

However, I cannot rule out the possibility that their names have been used without their knowledge. This, I find pretty disturbing, because it means that anyone of us might find himself praising some kind of rubbish in some kind of Nigerian scam.

[attachment=3494]image001.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Yes, Jona, people do not choose to allow themselves to be used for spam!
The first most know of this is when either someone tells them
(no-one bothered to tell me they were getting weird e-mails and messages from me,
I only discovered it when I realised I was getting e-mails from myself......
Hackers and spammers are to blame, not the people you mentioned.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is from a British company:
Calix Imperium

;-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I expect Messrs Goldsworthy and the rest regularly quaff their ale from such a fine cup! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Do you think artisans in Roman times would have made such a cup? Would they have put legionaries on it or gods and such?
Caesar audieritis hoc
Quote:Do you think artisans in Roman times would have made such a cup? Would they have put legionaries on it or gods and such?
I have never seen a cup of this type; the combination of elements - a realistic scene within a triumphal arch, decorated with a coin portrait and Victories, together with the words "Roma Victrix" - strikes me as unusual, although it may well have existed.

Quote:I expect Messrs Goldsworthy and the rest regularly quaff their ale from such a fine cup! :wink:
I hope to discover that they are the victims. If they willingly sold their names to a company that acts like a Nigerian scam, their reputations as serious authors - and I think Goldsworthy has something to say - are sold as well. How can I trust their judgment in other matters, if their judgment can apparently be bought?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, someone obviously sold them the rights to those images....I recognist them from a Magazine
we all know.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dear Jona, I have just about had it with your biggoted views against my fellow countrymen.

In our country the profession of barrister is held in high regards by not only our locals but also our witch doctors, of which Mbaka Kesesele is the most important.

That we provide the world with a service since so many of the former Western Colonists have died in recent years, leaving millions and millions of funds in our Nigerian banks is not something to mock about.

That we help out where we can by sending next of kin a notice to pick these funds up is only our service to world society. Our government could also lay claim on these funds, but well, we do have a Law in this country.

The punishment for taking funds which are not your own is death by fish insertion.

I would kindly ask you to refrain from further comments denouncing me and my counrtymen as scammers. We are most certainly not. And if you dont believe us, please fly out to our beautiful country, where you will be invited to join us for a lovely meal in your honour in which you, of course, will be the main course.

Best wishes,

Kongogogo Makaka Mukeselete
Barrister
Abuja
Nigeria

[Image: 124b1a3eaeca68e.jpg]
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
[attachment=3495]13_ano625.jpg[/attachment]
Love it.

Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
This beaker is ugly as sh*t, if you ask me. And for more than 100 GBP I can imagine a load of much cooler beakers to have... But, de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum....
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Well, if they'd used the metal to make one of these instead I may have been interested...otherwise what a waste! :roll:

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:...This would not in itself be terribly painful, but the message I now found, contained praise for this object by well-known writers: Goldsworthy (whom I appreciate), Matyszak, Scarrow. That they have allowed themselves to be used for spam, will certainly not make me look forward to reading or buying their books.

However, I cannot rule out the possibility that their names have been used without their knowledge...

It looks legit. (Maybe.)

http://www.adriangoldsworthy.com/blog.php?st=5
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
If you don't like it just delete the e-mail and don't buy it. Not to my personal taste but don't really see what the major issue is here? If authors choose to endorse the product I really don't have an issue with that either.
Marc Byrne
Oh come on Moi are you realy trying to sell off a Rudge cup without any inlays in it that's a bit much. ??
Brian Stobbs
this is too funny. Of course Nigeria isn't a worldwide center for scamming. Of course they wouldn't do this. Of course the sun comes up in the west......of course......