Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century scutum and Minerva umbo
Well after bending my own plywood and finishing my first scutum the "bend" straightened up on me! Now I know why it needs interior bracing! Needless to say it was donated to a local kid in the neighborhood.

After getting a blank from Magnus (Thanks!) I made another, this time with bracing. I glued and brad nailed the bracing on the inside bending to form. I used a linen cover glued on both sides with carpenter's glue watered down. I did one side at a time allowing time for drying. Then it was trimmed very close to size. Then the entire inside and out was painted, the color is "Cranberry zing". I then drilled small holes every 1/2" around the perimeter and holding leather edging in place I stitched it on. I know some sites say to glue the leather edging to the shield and then drill but I found no trouble hand sewing it on loose. In fact it helped to stretch and pull the leather to shape.

I used LEG XX template for the winged thunderbolt and spine. All the painting and outlines was done free hand. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out but I may shade some of the feathers. Also waiting on an umbo. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Good work. You didn't tell us how you made your support bracing, and how you got your linen to cover it. Would you mind, please?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
As a little suggestion, I would suggest you use rawhide for the edging next time. It's stronger and historically better.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Shield looks great Jay, but boooooooo on the pattern lol. I also maybe would have painted the edging yellow.

Legion: TBD
Thanks guys. Yes I should have used rawhide but I had some scrap leather on hand. I thought about painting it yellow but I saw one Rusty has on his site with the black edging and I thought it looked good. Mine is actually a really dark brown. Magnus, I thought you'd be upset but I just love the feather's on this pattern...no offense! :grin: I guess I could put LEG II AVG across it... 8)

As for the covering and the bracing. I used 1/2" thick scrap I had lying around for the straight sides. As for the curve rather than wetting the pieces down and forming them I ripped some wood down to 1/4" making it bendable and then doubled it up. So in essence there are two pieces 1/4" thick each bent and laminated together.

The reverse was covered with a mixture of carpenters glue and water and then the linen applied over top, trying to get it tight around the braces. Then I put the glue mixture on top of the linen around the braces. This gave the material some weight and held it in place. I used my fingers to push it all in place and smoothed it out as best I could, but you'll never get all the wrinkles out unless you cut pieces to size around the bracing.

Antony
Hahah, if you can find room sure...of course, you'll be the odd duck with a different emblem lol.

Yeah, I could put the tablets on the side. Personally I don't think all the shields would have been identical anyway...

Antony
Within a cohort at least, most likely the same. For reenactors, shield device is how they are identified as well, and it helps to establish group identity.

Fair enough...got another blank? :grin:

Antony
Quote:Magnus, I thought you'd be upset but I just love the feather's on this pattern...no offense! :grin: I guess I could put LEG II AVG across it... 8)

The feathers are historically accurate aren't they? What's wrong with them?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
No nothing is "wrong" with them. It's just that it is the "wrong" pattern that the group uses so I'll be different (that is if I ever get my butt to an event).

Antony
You're coming damn you! lol

Oh and check your email....received some further info about the ROM date.

Now a question on the umbo. Does it matter round or square? I see conflicting reports on this that round is primarily for cavalry, however it seems early infantry umbo's are round. The Guttman collection brass umbo with Minerva and snakes is claimed dated to 3rd century, but gives no reason for this determination. Would it be appropriate to use it on a mid-late 1st century scutum seeing the other highly decorated umbo's of the time? I ask even though I've already purchased one :grin:

Antony
Steel....minimum 16 ga, 10 x 11 inches or so works. Anything else is too thin and will get destroyed in anything other than display. But....you will probably put it on anyway....lol

You should make a 2nd shield for field use....one for display. Wink

Thanks Matt. I have a square steel one that I beat out myself which can be swapped on or off.

I guess my question is can a highly decorated round umbo be used for 1st century infantry? We have the gorgon head and Head of Africa with the elephant trunk head dress dating to the first century and they are all round. I've found that only a slight bend is required for the flat round umbo to fit the curve of the shield. From what I've gathered the original brass umbos are very thin to begin with. If acceptable I may want to tin the background like the original.

Antony

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum from Dura-Europos mid-3rd century A.D. Rado 24 5,314 01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Rado
  1st century Scutum marvises 8 2,829 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus
  Scutum 2nd Century TIBISIVS 8 2,183 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS