Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a suitable bow for a late roman archer?
Hi there!

I have been trying to find a suitable bow for a late roman archer. This might be it?: http://nomadbows.com/stock/index.php?mai...cts_id=396
I know the siyahs are not quite the shape as they should but the pounds are acceptable for a warbow. What do you think? It is for sale and I could shoot with it also when not re-enacting...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That is the one I have. It's a Grozer. 8-)
It is close enough. True, the siyahs are not the exact same shape as the roman finds, but close enough. and it is made to traditional methods, no modern composites!
A great choice!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:That is the one I have. It's a Grozer. 8-)
It is close enough. True, the siyahs are not the exact same shape as the roman finds, but close enough. and it is made to traditional methods, no modern composites!
A great choice!

Yes, I think so too! I have several Grozer bows. I have been drooling over a composite bow because the heavier glass fiber bows are not efficient, they weight way too much...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Go for it Jyrki and report back to us.. Looks like a great one to have.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ooh, on sale too!

Authenticity wise - general shape seems ok. Siyahs are quite long after the nock but you can take them down, or ignore it if no-body mean and nasty questions you about them at events. :mrgreen:
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Quote:Ooh, on sale too!

Authenticity wise - general shape seems ok. Siyahs are quite long after the nock but you can take them down, or ignore it if no-body mean and nasty questions you about them at events. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, I will make some inquiries about the bow. I know the siyahs are wrongly shaped but I think I can live with that. I am shooting with bows outside re-enactment so 80% of my interest lies in the efficiency of the bow... ;-)
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 815 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Is this suitable for a late roman impression? Virilis 13 3,282 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Roman Archer shields? Caius Titius Verus 6 3,188 07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Caius Titius Verus