Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference location Poll
Hello all
I suggest that this thread be started in December if not sooner so as to allow normal working class citizens such as myself/truck driver, of the UK a chance to attend. This is due to the fact works holidays have to be put in /accepted by January. We have no option of flexibility. I would love to attend but need to have advanced warning so as i can book holidays.
It doesnt matter where as long as advance warning is given. I'm sure i'm not alone on this one.
Kevin
Kevin
Thanks, Jurjen! That certainly sounds interesting, lectures, excursions and pub-crawls.

As regards dates, I agree with Kevin that the earlier such an event is announced, the better it is. It won't matter for myself where work is concerned (as a teacher, it's either during school recess or not at all), but there's always those long-planned events which tend to clutter up one's agenda...
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
We used to have the conference in fall (October or early November). I would favor October so the chances are good that the weather would still be nice to go on some outdoor excursions.

But I agree, once we decided for a location the organizer should set a date or do a separate poll for the best dates.
I'm going to refrain from voting since I feel as if I don't really have the right, not really knowing anybody here, but I am going to go ahead and respectfully suggest Oxford. Not just because I'm based here for University but because a) its a lovely place and b) the Ashmolean museum is pretty damn cool.

On the bad side the sheer amount of tourists can get frustrating. It can be hard to move sometimes and going anywhere in an academic robe will entail millions of pictures being taken of you. Plus it can get kind of expensive.

But I think the Ashmolean probably cancels a lot of that stuff out, right? Plus I'd like to attend and all that.
Jass
Well, this poll was started about a month ago, so I suggest we give it one more day of voting and on May first we can start planning the next conference.
ALA I BATAVORUM
In that case I should promote the Utrecht region, shouldn't I? :wink:
Although not rich in Roman remains (like the German locations) or grand museums (such as Oxford), Utrecht has a bit of everything. Utrecht, Leiden, Amsterdam, every city has a good museum with plenty of Roman artifacts, usually within an hour (door-to-door) of where we stay. Also, Utrecht is within an hour by train from Schiphol airport.
Although no major Roman ruins exist here anymore, there's the Ermelo marching camp on the cold and forlorn heath (especially if we host this in the late Fall)..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How easy is it to drive to either of the German options?
I would be interested in attending any and all, but having never been to Germany, it would be interesting to visit either.!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, if you´d take the same flight as Graham or arrive at a similar time, I´d pick you both up at Munich airport, if it were a Regensburg Conference. From there it is about an hour by car or 1 1/2 by train.
What I forgot: More Info on Regensburg / UNESCO world heritage site

http://www.regensburg.de/sixcms/detail.php/60796
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thanks Christian. I appreciate the offer! 8-)
I am not sure what the ability of my attending will be yet, but you make a convincing argument.
I do quite like the idea of driving in Germany though! :-P
Plus I could make a few detours here and there to see other sights, time permitting!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:How easy is it to drive to either of the German options?
I would be interested in attending any and all, but having never been to Germany, it would be interesting to visit either.!

I described it earlier in this thread how to get to Bad Dürkheim. Since I go by train we could always arrange it to meet at a certain trainstation and then hop all on the same train to the final destination.

Quote:I'm going to refrain from voting since I feel as if I don't really have the right, not really knowing anybody here, but I am going to go ahead and respectfully suggest Oxford. Not just because I'm based here for University but because a) its a lovely place and b) the Ashmolean museum is pretty damn cool.

Then vote for Oxford. You are welcome to vote like everybody else.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=311849 Wrote:How easy is it to drive to either of the German options?

I described it earlier in this thread how to get to Bad Dürkheim. Since I go by train we could always arrange it to meet at a certain trainstation and then hop all on the same train to the final destination.

Thanks Medusa, but I asked how easy it was to drive to either location.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
http://maps.google.de/maps?q=bad+d%C3%BC...Pfalz&z=14

http://maps.google.de/maps?q=regensburg&...ayern&z=12

:-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Cheers Christian....
I see Regensburg is actually almost twice the distance...
and the mountain roads to Bad Dürkheim look very interesting..... 8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
With the current votes (Regensburg 11, Oxford 8, Bad Durkheim 1 and Utrecht 5) I think Regensburg it is. So, I guess Christian can now take the lead and start organising. First would be to find a date Big Grin

Thanks for voting and hope to see you all in Regensburg!
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT Conference 2014 - Decision on Location Medusa Gladiatrix 9 4,445 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Last Post: 66kbm
  RAT Conference 2013 - Location Discussion caiusbeerquitius 16 8,020 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Joze Noriker
  RAT Conference 2012 - Location Poll jvrjenivs 16 22,182 07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Tormenta