Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIB 2121 help please
Does any kind and generous RAT member have access to this reference for the inscription found just east of Newstead and would they care to let me know what it says?

Thank you in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Ciao Vindex,
you need other reference about this inscription, besides the RIB himself ?

RIB 2121
Campestr(ibus) / sacrum Ael(ius) / Marcus / dec(urio) alae Aug(ustae) / Vocontio(rum) / v(otum) s(olvit) l(ibens) l(aetus) m(erito)

(Collingwood, R.G. and Wright, R.P. (1965). The Roman Inscriptions of Britain (RIB). Oxford, Clarendon Press)
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Thank you SO much - that is very kind.

This was all I was looking for - is there more?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
You are welcome!
momentarily doesn't come to my mind other references… (If I find something I will send you)
nevertheless the RIB is completely on-line and you can personally check the inscription.
There is also a page about the site of Trimontivm (Newstead ) and the discoveries.

Very best.
S.M.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Quote:This was all I was looking for - is there more?
Sometimes it's nice to see the actual object, too.
[attachment=3626]RIB_2121.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:You are welcome!
momentarily doesn't come to my mind other references… (If I find something I will send you)
nevertheless the RIB is completely on-line and you can personally check the inscription.
There is also a page about the site of Trimontivm (Newstead ) and the discoveries.

Very best.
S.M.

Thank you VERY much for the link. Makes life much easier :wink:
Moi Watson

Quote:
Vindex post=310204 Wrote:This was all I was looking for - is there more?
Sometimes it's nice to see the actual object, too.
[attachment=3626]RIB_2121.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you Duncan (again!) :wink:
Moi Watson