Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thucydides Peloponesian War
Since the Peloponessian War is an extreme fascination of mine and since i've had this book and just haven't begun reading it I thought I would get everyone who cares to share their opinion on the book. How credible is Thucydides, I know he was one of the first greek historians, but I have talked to professors before and some have thought him a credible source, wheras others have found him too biased, as he was an Athenian general. So please share your opinions if you have read this book.<br>
<br>
Peace<br>
<br>
GNAEUS POMPEIUS MAGNUS <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Hi there, Thucydides is the recognised best text for the Peloponnesian war. yes he did start the war as an Athenian general but was banished early on and wrote his history as an outside observer<br>
<br>
The only point of concern is that the speeches that he quotes should not be taken literally (read the introduction it will give details on this)<br>
<br>
apart from that good book but does not go all the way to the finish of the war (for that you have to go on to Xenophons' Hellenica' or 'History of my times')<br>
<br>
Good to see someone interested in this amazing time in history<br>
<br>
Jason <p></p><i></i>
Thank you for the responce. I do love this point in history. I created a theory about the peloponesian war, how it is one of the most important wars in history. Go to the roman army talk web site and go under off topic. Its a few pages back but the thread is called the Peloponessian War theory. It has some holes I know, but is interesting to think about its importance. [url=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk" target="top]p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk[/url] <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Hmmmm Interesting,<br>
<br>
I went back and read the thread you refered to, as was stated in the post the Spartans were in decline during this time due to the effects of low birth rate and the extremley selective military training systems (throwing kids off cliffs can never be good for population growth) the Athenians were never a serious land, power even in their hayday.<br>
<br>
There are two main points of contention with your theory the Persians had ceased to be an expansionist empire because of their own internal power struggle problems and the most important the Macedonian Sarrisa!<br>
<br>
The effectivness of the Sarrisa and the Phalanx combined with cavalry and (and this is a very big AND) Alexanders siege and catapult equipment made the Macedonians an irresistable force during their time so regardless of the strength of the greeks I dont think they would have stopped Alexander<br>
<br>
Yes ill accept that had the greeks not have been having their own war the may have been able to stop the Macedonian military build up.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jason<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thank you for your comments as well as critiques they are greatly appreciated. I am still a college student studying history and geology at a universtiy, so as I study more about this period I will most likely change, or mold my views.<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thucydides and Xenophon eugene 8 2,726 06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Xenophon223
  peloponesian impression Andy 6 1,856 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  "Phalanx" in Herodotus, Thucydides Jona Lendering 3 4,157 10-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis