Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pelta practicality?
hello,<br>
<br>
putting together a Greek kit for SCA combat and came up with question regarding the pelta shield.<br>
<br>
does it have any practical advantages over a round or oval shield? has anyone here used one in combat?<br>
<br>
i know they are typically associated with the Thracian javelineers. and ,heh, in 'Troy' they fit nicely over the horses butts.<br>
<br>
some reference said it was a religious observance to the moon....? i'm skeptical there.<br>
<br>
only thing i could come up with was that it allowed you to draw it close across the body and still give complete vision, vs. having to lower a round shield farther. but even that seems pretty slim.<br>
<br>
any ideas? <p></p><i></i>
the shield that is associated with the Thracians is depicted as being mostly made of wicker, like most greek weaponary of this period i think it probably has more to do with personal preference. Ignore the movie troy, in regards to historical accuracy its not even in the same millenium. Advantages over the standard Aspis again probably personal choice.<br>
<br>
Jason<br>
<p></p><i></i>
oh, i probably should have used a smilely along w/ the Troy reference. i realize it's about as 'authentic' as Disneyworld.... <p></p><i></i>
A wicker pelta weighs less than an aspis, so that's the most important reason for its use by light troops... look at the defeat of the Spartan hoplites by Athenian peltasts at Sphacteria... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan