Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome\'s \"plastic centurions\"
We've talked about the tourist-chasing plastic centurions of Rome before, such as in this thread, but I see they are in the news again.

Roman 'centurions' in violent scuffle with police outside Coliseum.

Evidently it is still a problem.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
"over their right to pose for photos with tourists in return for payment"
They mean extortion. :evil:

"two centurions who had unfurled banners from an upper tier of the Colosseum were evicted from the site by police"
Mmm. 'Military clashes with town guards'? ;-)

"Rival bands of centurions fighting a turf war have also traded blows outside the Colosseum"
Nothing changes. The Roman army still clashes in civil wars over money.

"Spokesmen for the centurions, who have recently held meetings with city officials over the new ban, claim they would like to see their unlicensed profession recognised, with licenses and identity badges handed out."
Now THAT would be a good idea. I'm sure there are some members on this very forum who would eagerly volunteer to take a seat in the committee which handles such licences: it would be a good think to start with equipment authenticity. Next, education in ancient history. :mrgreen:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Here is the Italian version, Corriere della Sera, together with a video. It's largely centered around a casualty amongst the Centurion supporters. One of the Centurions even drew his sword. Tongue

http://roma.corriere.it/roma/notizie/cro...7796.shtml

These centurions are quite a sight to behold, and very educational. Before I saw them, I never knew the Romans had plastic. Or that this kind of plastic makes for an effective armour. :mrgreen: Wouldn't they be more effective portraying gladiators in front of the Colosseum? Especially noxii? One of them could dress up as a lion. :mrgreen:
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quote: One of the Centurions even drew his sword. Tongue
Take cover! The cardboard swords are drawn! :lol:

Quote: One of them could dress up as a lion. :mrgreen:
That's brilliant.. but not new. I know that the Co. I Gallica dresses someone up as a bear or a deer to show the public a hunting scene.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
For some reason I first read "Romes "plastic surgeons". But then the thread was even more fun to read... :lol:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:For some reason I first read "Romes "plastic surgeons". But then the thread was even more fun to read... :lol:

Oddly I did the same thing Confusedhock: ...but then I thought someone had found a new cavalry regiment in the "ala Celsius" until I opened that thread too :oops: ... but it is Friday, after all...time for a beer! :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Is it a fancy dress party?....can i come?
Naaaaaaaahhhhhhhh...changed my mind....beer not wine Moi?
Kevin
Kevin
Ale as opposed to beer actually...unless you have a good Argentinian Malbec on the go Kevin?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I will decline....as the "butch romans/legionares whatever they were meant to be" did in the photo lol...on the question of "Argentinian Malbec"...as i dont drink wine....usually...Ale is good, unlike the "leeches" at the colloseum that want money for a pic.....imagine if i, or anyone else here had charged the public for a pic at shows/events....if they didnt tell us where to go,we would be rich and at least they would have "accurate/authentic" pics.
Enjoy your Ale
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:I know that the Co. I Gallica dresses someone up as a bear or a deer to show the public a hunting scene.

[Image: 036.jpg]

An incredible amout of research was needed to do it, believe me :mrgreen: After all, pursuing and hunting empty air seemed too silly :roll:

Back to the topic, I remember that years ago in one event, when I wasn't still part of the Coh I Gall, one of the my comilitiones threw out of the city walls one "plastic roman" that had proposed to charge money to the visitors for the photos...he even tried to split the money, but unusually for late Romans, bribes didn't work. :lol:

I haven't heard if anyone more has tried something like this at any other reenacment events :?:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:[quote]I haven't heard if anyone more has tried something like this at any other reenacment events :?:
You mean throwing 'plastic Romans' out of the town? Nah, don't think so! :lol:

As to portraying a Roman hunt, indeed not, either. This warrants a new thread. Couls you describe what you do and perhaps you have some footage?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I was in Rome two weeks ago and the "plastic centurions' have apparently been banished from the immediate vicinity of the Coliseum. I saw one a one of two wandering about across the road north of the site but the grounds themselves seemed free of them.

-Jeff Henion
I know this is an old thread and all, but I just wanted to say that I didn't see any problem with these guys when I was there. They ask if you want a picture with them and you say "no, thank you" if you don't want it. Will that kill someone?

I am just saying that there are other countries further east and south where the locals really do harass and extort money from tourists, and sometimes there is no service offered at all. And in case those countries are too far for one to care, well, you know Paris? - there are guys there who walk up to you, tie a thread around your finger and around your girlfriend's finger and then demand 5 euros.
Regards,

Andre