Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaius Velius Rufus
An incredibly interesting career: Gaius Velius Rufus probably started as a common soldier, was primus pilus in XII Fulminata, commanded a large vexillatio, became a member of the equestrian order, served as procurator in Raetia, and made it into the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius (probably).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Rufus is interesting indeed - presumably also pretty unusual, although it would be more interesting to know just how unusual!

Have you seen Kennedy's article C. Velius Rufus (Britannia, 14, 1983)? Kennedy proposes a slightly different chronology to the one you follow (Dobson's?), with the Carthage command and Mauretanian war happening before the vexillation command, which he suggests was the same force used in the expedition across Dacia rather than in an earlier German conflict.

Wasn't there also a correspondent of Fronto called Velius Rufus? He might seem a more obvious choice for the retiree mentioned in Meditations. Although probably a son (or grandson?) of the military man.
Nathan Ross
Quote:Wasn't there also a correspondent of Fronto called Velius Rufus? He might seem a more obvious choice for the retiree mentioned in Meditations. Although probably a son (or grandson?) of the military man.

We have one letter from Fronto to a Velius Rufus Senex (Ad Amicos, i.11, or on page 87 of the Loeb II). The letter is short and explains some figures of speech, like metaphors. The Loeb editors speculate that Fronto is talking about some rhetorical tricks he used in his For the Bithynians speech. They date the letter to approximately 162 and say "nothing more is certainly known of him [Velius Rufus Senex]."
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Have you seen Kennedy's article C. Velius Rufus (Britannia, 14, 1983)?
I know of its existence (Duncan referred to it in a message that I lost due to a computer crash), but have not been able to consult it yet. If someone can send me a copy, I would be grateful.

Quote:We have one letter from Fronto to a Velius Rufus Senex (Ad Amicos, i.11, or on page 87 of the Loeb II). The letter is short and explains some figures of speech, like metaphors. The Loeb editors ... say "nothing more is certainly known of him [Velius Rufus Senex]."
According to the R.E., Senex is probably the father of the man who was killed by Commodus. The R.E. also thinks that Marcus Aurelius' reference is to Senex, but the pairing of that Velius Rufus with Tiberius, suggests the wise emperor was not referring to a contemporary.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:If someone can send me a copy, I would be grateful
Jona - PM me an email address and I'll see what I can do...

Quote:the pairing of that Velius Rufus with Tiberius, suggests the wise emperor was not referring to a contemporary.
That's a good point!
Nathan Ross
Quote:Jona - PM me an email address and I'll see what I can do...
Thanks for the offer - but Duncan was faster.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ILS 982 Inscription to L Verginius Rufus Vindex 6 1,886 07-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Vindex