Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman saw: types for specific kinds of use?
Salvete omnes.

Recently, I started to gather information on making/collecting tools for a future boneworker impersonation.

So far, I cannot find any specific information on the saw types related to this kind of craft. I mostly stumble on these two types (attachments).

Does anyone have experience/information/literature references on this craft and the related types of saws best fitted for this kind of use?

Thanks in advance/gratias tibi.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arno Luyendijk 

aka

Pvblivs Clavdivs Githiosses

[email protected]
Not much help, but you can categorically rule out any kind of circular saw which dates to the early-modern period.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Arno I would say the thing you could use is a medical saw for bone work, I have a few photos and they are small. Some are like a tenon saw and the other is like a carpenters pad saw. I will post when near my computer Big Grin
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
the second pic is a woodworkers saw as found in Utrecht. they are quite large. this replica is 60 cm long:
https://www.facebook.com/203702642993872...8491355282
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
A couple of Saws from London No 5-6, Unfortunately no idea of the actual size but probably obvious from the grip of one, from the Old London museum Catalogue 1946 plate XXXVI... from Bank of England and London Wall sites.

[attachment=12126]Knives1.jpg[/attachment]

Sketch of a Carpenters bench and tools from Pompeii

[attachment=12127]WorkbenchfromPompei.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Here are a couple of pics :grin:
[Image: 4914079.jpg]
[Image: medical001.jpg]
[Image: 52598538.jpg]
The second photo the saw is at the top right you could also have a straight handle this one is in bronze but you could use iron. The photo below shows the saw below the box and the saw teeth cut on the pull. As you can see the saw is quite small compared to the scapel handles.
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 3 330 04-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Darrell Hindley
  some kinds of helmets found in Italy Servio Caro (Javier Sánc 3 1,467 06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  Eastern Roman Empire Troop types? Anonymous 22 4,905 10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Felix