Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A mystery
Hi all
Can anyone enlighten upon this image that was taken at the British Museum.
It was shown in our groups web page but is strange having a horse with rider and a Pegasus.....My thoughts.. maybee an ALA attached?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kevin
Got a better picture Kevin? I may be missing something but it looks like Pegasus to me with no rider.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
On the left is a capricorn, on the right a pegasus.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Hi
Sorry Moi thats all ive got.....pegasus on the left and what seems to be a rider on the right...was taken by a member of the group at the British Museum...thats all i know, and he would/we would like any info on it as we are severly contradicting ourselves as to the meaning.
I still reckon it represents an ALA or similar attached to II AVG to be bold enough to represent thier selves on the "Tabula"
Kevin
Kevin
As I said, on the left is a capricorn. On the right might be a rider, if you had a better pic.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Unless horses grew people on thier backs...i would say thats a rider on the right.
Someone must know of this pic...put usout of our misery please
Kevin

No way are those wings
Kevin
Update on info
Apparently from Caerleon...when i dont know
Kevin
Kevin
Building-Stone from Hadrian's Wall (2nd century AD)

Best!

S.M.

[attachment=3961]Building-StonefromHadriansWallwithinscriptionofLEGIIAUGRomanBritainBritishMuseum.jpg[/attachment]

EDIT:

Vindex wrote:

oops...cross posted with Ligus (but a better photograph!)

:wink:

The Vindex’s photo is quite clear, just the emblems of the legion in an “heraldic composition”.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Okey dokey...this is on the Livius website:

http://www.livius.org/a/1/legio/ii_augusta/iiaug.JPG

If it's the same one as that one above, I'd say it was just the pegasus wings; not rider; no ala reference. (And this stone is from Hadrian's Wall country).

EDIT: oops...cross posted with Ligus (but a better photograph!).

I've found this one too:

http://tinyurl.com/8yjmsqu
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The stone is RIB 1341 and is described as "Building stone, 15 x 10 in., found before 1789 on the north side of Benwell fort. Now in the British Museum." The figures are a capricorn and a pegasus, the emblems of legio II Augusta, which also appear on other reliefs, e.g., RIB 340, 1342, 1344 & 1707.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Any idea when the fort was built? I understand it was constructed after the wall and ditch were completed.
Douglas
Quote:Any idea when the fort was built? I understand it was constructed after the wall and ditch were completed.

A concise history:

http://www.roman-britain.org/places/condercum.htm
Moi Watson

Capricorn and pegasus I think.
VINDEX solvet the mistery, are the emblems of LEGIO II
Ok
So its a Pegasus...my mistake...my eyes are old.
Good work Moi and thanks.
Kevin
Kevin