Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Felt for hats
Can anyone recommend a Stateside supplier for felt for making a tiara/kidaris? And what weight to get?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan make it yourself its very easy, a hat could be made with maybe an hours work with some wool, glycerine soap and a suitable shape cut from a piece of lino floor covering as the former and a mat of some kind to roll it in... google felt making Wink

This will also enable you to make it in one piece with No seams if required.....

You can make slippers, socks, boots, insoles, helmet liners, Hats in almost any shape, bags etc etc..
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I'm looking into it, but I don't have faith in my ability to do a decent job of it.

Seams aren't an issue for me, I worked out my pattern for flat fabric. But is making your own felt really the standard way of doing it?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan, when it was time that they cut the wool from the sheep here in Greece, and they usually throw it away, i just pulled a handful out of a dirty pile, washed it a little and then used soap for the dishes, and rubbed it with my hands, after laying it in two layers. It became beautiful felt in like five minutes. It's really very easy. With perhaps four layers you will have the thickness of felt you need for a hat. The most difficult part is to estimate how much it will shrink, and make your initial pattern accordingly bigger. I have heard that about 30% bigger is about right, but a test piece will convince you.
There are indeed many many tutorials on youtube.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]