Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Libations in modern urban culture
This might seem like an odd question, but I'm curious. In contemporary urban culture there is a custom of "tipping," or pouring out a bit of liqour for dead friends. Was this influenced by ancient libations? Does anyone know how it originated? The similarities seem too striking to be coincidence.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
On the occasions I've partaken it was certainly a deliberate echo. I think the reason is that the people we commemorate in this way enjoyed a drink and would have been with us.

Quite a few of my ex Armed Service colleagues do it too.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Given the widesspread practice of pouring libations, both historically and culturally and in various world religions, I wonder if it's more a case of continuous practice rather than a modern revival of ancient custom? I first remember doing it in rememberence of the dead at Battle Abbey in 1986.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]