Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this helmet legal for SCA?
SCA combat IS a sport... Is it said you only fight your friends. The purpose of blows is to simulate a kill, not perform one. The rattan is used for various reasons, tied to safety. The rattan has a certain amount of flex which reduces the concussion from an impact. The striking surface is wide, at least an inch and a quarter wich spreads the concussive force on point of impact over a wider area than the edge of a non- flexing edged steel blade. Weapons meant for crushing like maces, must include padding inside to allow a certain give on impact. This is to absorb some of the impact to not break bones or rupture organs. Armor is needed BECAUSE severe injury can still result from a blow on an unprotected area. There are excluded target areas, becasue as previously stated, a stay in the hospital can interfere with getting to work on Monday. How do you explain to your boss you need a week off work because you were injured in a melee? Certain areas of the body can be permanently injured by a blow from an SCA weapon. For example, the knees are meant to bend in the direction of walking ie. Mostly forward and back though with some rotation. The knee cannot bend left or right. A powerful blow to the side of the knee, with sufficient force can break your knee. All the blows I have received around that area, come in laterally. So a blow on the knee with force would have the effect of forcing my knee to bed inward from the outside. This could cripple me. Hands are not legal target because of the obvious risk or broken bones. So a great deal of hand protection is required, wich, incidentally, is why the medievals wore increasingly protective gauntlets. Many SCA gauntlet designs are taken from originals because they work so well. The feet and ankles and shins are not legal because the shin is an unyielding surface held in a static position holding up your body weight. Deliberate targeting and a solid blow to the shin could result in a fracture as there is no fat or muscle tissue to absorb a blow, and nobody wants to wear greaves with an inch of closed cell foam beneath them to absorb. Likewise, ankle joints and foot bones do not take solid blows well without a great deal of pain, believe me, I've felt that pain and would rather not go there again. So authentic or not, there are good reasons for off target areas. Also, as I said you only fight your friends for fun, not your enemies. If you have a grudge with someone, want revenge, hate someone, the battle field is not where you resolve it. You should never strike blows in anger or with intent to do harm. Also, what hasn't been mentioned is the presence of authorised marshals to watch the combattants to ensure that safe combat practices are used and to stop the fight if something dangerous occurs. I once saw a helm go flying straight up from the middle of a melee when a chin strap broke and a blow took the helm right off. Nobody got hurt but how easy would it have been if there was nobody there to call " Hold" and stop it immediately? Things happen and we all want it to be like Valhalla, where you can fight all day and party and tell war stories all night.

Baron Thomas Buttesthorn
Defender of the West
Formerly from The Kingdom of the West,
now residing in The Barony of Southron Gaard,
Kingdom of Lochac
Caesar audieritis hoc

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal twist to removed antiquities Epictetus 5 1,504 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius