Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian
Hey, Corinth wasn't built in a day :wink: Aside from that, here is the latest look at the progress so far. *Note these are PROGRESS pictures - NOT nearly finished! There is still a lot of grinding to be done - all the polishing and the fine line detail is yet in its infancy, but this will be a very accurate representation when finished.
Bill
Hey, Corinth wasn't built in a day! None the less, here are the latest peeks at the helmet as it presently stands. There is still a lot of grinding and polishing yet to be done, as well as the fine details, but I think you will start to get a better idea of the nice form this thing is taking on. Big Grin

*Note: this is the prototype, so that's one of the reasons it is taking as long as it is. Once this one is finished to satisfaction, the subsequent castings will be much quicker.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Bill, the helmet really looks wonderful Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That really is very impressive. 8)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes, that is fantastic!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks to all of you! I know this helmet is being produced with the stricktest degree of attention to accuracy. As soon as Dioskouri manages to wade through all the other little collateral projects presently in the "flight pattern", this helmet will be finally realized, and it will be well worth the wait! Big Grin

I'll keep you posted when I receive any new images that have been "cleared" for viewing. :roll:
Bill
Well, finally the moment has arrived! The "Dendaskouri" (Denda-type from Dioskouri) Corinthian helmet prototype is finished. I am told it weighs in at around 8 pounds and is completely battle-worthy. This is the first true Corinthian to be produced in over 2,400 years, and in case anyone thinks he's getting #2... think again! :razz:

I hope you like the pictures - they were sent to me to touch up a little before posting, but I decided they look pretty nice as is, so I left them pure (albeit sideways!).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Congratulations, a really wonderful helmet :woot: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That's an impressive Corinthian helmet! It gives you a good idea on how the original one looked.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Eight Pounds! Oh, my aching neck! :o
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Athenian! :wink:
Bill
I would much prefer that people would kindly rotate their pictures to where the workmanship can be seen much better, they are placed in very good settings so why not show a better view of them please.???

What is the colour that has been put onto the facial area and would it be correct to assume there is evidence for this kind of thing for I never got around to doing that on ones that I made.
Brian Stobbs
Hello everyone

Bill has been very helpful in posting stuff for me as I am so often not near a computer or lately, at my own home!

This helmet is the first one that I'm aware that really is a single contiguous helmet. There are no 'parts' or 'pieces' welded on later nor was it assembled in pieces. The nasal is solid nose with greater thickness in the forehead and ocular rims. This is accurate to the originals of this helmet type. Bear in mind the Corinthian helmet went through many stages to arrive at these zenith types. The old thought of these being hammer raised from a single flat sheet of bronze only applied to the earliest types and this can be readily observed in them. As the helmet evolved to meet greater requirements the techniques and even the alloy changed. Steel weapons with greater penetrating ability would quickly overcome those earlier helmet types. The bronze used for helmets was specially made for helmets alone. This bronze type is not in evidence in any other artifacts and is consistent from archaic to late Corinthian types. As the Greeks changed the helmet numerous design changes occur to accommodate their ever increasing abilities to make them. Part of this process occurs out of necessity. As the alloy had to grow stronger it became more and more impervious to hammer forming techniques. This particular helmet could never be made with just a hammer. I chose to reproduce this helmet as it personifies and evokes the Hoplite like no other class of these helmets. It is the most desirable helmet for the public market.

The blackfacing on the helmet is accurate. Numerous depictions of this type of painting and decoration appear in the pottery. It's intimidating and greatly shows off the delicate and gracile ocular rims. The crest is held on with pitch as was used. Some helmets show nail holes and some do not, pitch was most likely used with the nails for insurance. It holds the crest very tightly and it feels like the crest box would break before the pitch gave way. The hair is treated with a special solution and like a crest I made before has about 4 years to go before it even begins to droop. The crest hair treatment is a very easy mixture and in my opinion, would solve all the modern complaints and tricks to keep crests upright. I don't think anyone was hanging helmets upside down at night to keep their crests up. Easy fix and it has held for me in a hot climate for years.

The weight.... This particular one is 8lbs. Actually fairly average for a helmet made of solid metal. Bronze is a fairly dense metal and is 'fat' metal. It doesn't take a lot of it to add weight. As this is just the prototype and I needed it to be finished a bit sooner, I left it at 8lbs. Obviously head sizes vary and an inch up in size will add weight. That's physiques. Future ones of this size can probably end at 7.35-7.5lbs. Too often people fixate on weight and thinness. Someone will gladly spend $1200 on a super light and thin bronze helmet made to 7th century helmet weights and if it falls off a table it will rupture at its welded seams. Not really what the Greeks would call a good helmet in the 5th century. The helmets in the later period were expected to and need to be...impenetrable. This one is

It doesn't just give you a good 'idea' of the look of the helmet. The only difference mine and an artifact helmet....is time and dirt.

Forgive any spelling or syntax, I'm writing this late at night and I don't want to go back and retread everything again.
Michael
It looks just amazing! :woot:
That is absolutely perfect! Exactly what I have dreamed of seeing
In a reproduction! My hats off to you, you have the shape exactly!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Kopis From Dioskouri katsika 54 13,543 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Daniel S.
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 1,955 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika