Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian
Then you're a lucky guy, Bill!

This helmet is a thing of great beauty and IMO a mile stone in reconstruction of an iconic piece.

Is there a waiting list? :twisted:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Man, now I really have helmet envy! 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I hear you! That is precisely why I wanted to get in line ASAP to get mine. :mrgreen:

I still am not clear on the price because I am assuming there could be small discrepancies in material costs and custom adornments. I do know that it is more than reasonable, due to the amount of labor and care that goes into each individual helmet.

Dioskouri requests that you who are interested in purchasing, to send a template of your head to them so a proper, custom fit will be ensured. This is normally done by taking a coat hanger wire and wrapping it around your head so it fits like a hat (I wired and soldered the ends together and also soldered inside cross braces to keep the postal chimps from destroying it en route). Then, after it is constructed, a wax model will be sent to you for sizing and adjustments (preferences, etc.). After you are happy with the fit, return it to Dioskouri for the final bronze work. This takes a couple of months (generally speaking), but the results yield a REAL Corinthian just like the ancient Greeks had. :wink: If you want a crest added, these prices will also vary slightly depending on requirements from the purchaser. Crests are attached with pitch - NO holes are drilled - this is generally how it was done back then - that sucker AIN'T coming off unless you want it to! . Pricing on this is also very reasonable, especially when compared to other less impressive, less accurate crests offered almost everywhere else.

I realize all this information might seem somewhat vague, as I am only a customer as well, but it is a starting point. Contact Dioskouri directly for any final information.

www.dioskouri.com
Bill
Once I get my other orders paid for, I will be looking to budget for one!
Now, I just need to sort out what stuff I am keeping and what to get rid of to help fund this! Confusedmile:
So far I have managed to sell as sword and a helmet..... :-?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Anyone want to buy my Manning? Confusedmile: :evil:
Bill
Mine is almost ready! I would keep both!
They are the best available.... Tongue
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Simply stunning work. A true craftsmans hands.
It's perfectly all right and highly encouraged to praise someone's or some company's work. Please be careful not to make insulting comments about another work, without clear reasons.

There were more exceptions to the "Corinthian Helmet" than those that fit the "rule". They were anything but cookie-cutter models, and there was considerable evolution of that helmet over the centuries that they were in use.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Shouldn´t this thread be in marketplace? ;-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It's perfectly all right and highly encouraged to praise someone's or some company's work. Please be careful not to make insulting comments about another work, without clear reasons.

I am not aware of any insults made by anyone in this thread - certainly none were implied as far as I can tell. Please be more specific so we might know the limits of our freedom of speech here.
Thanks!
Bill
@ Katsika: Sometimes when folks begin to compare brand A with brand B, the conversation turns to why A is correct, and B is a piece of junk. Since there were several comparisons already between the two, the moderator staff decided it would be a good idea to remind people. No accusations are being made here.

@ Christian: when the product is available for general purchase, then the NEW thread should be put in the Marketplace. For now, it's fine to discuss, compare/contrast, and picture this proto-product in this location, as it is, after all, a Reconstruction.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I am still going to be chuffed with my Manning! it's getting closer to completion! :evil:
However, I will get one of these, oneday! (anybody need a kidney? One (sorta) careful owner) :mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I really like the looks of the helmet, it is excellent, and really would like to order one for me. I am a bit concerned about the weight, though. I checked today in the quite recent

H. Frielinghaus, Die Helme von Olympia - ein Beitrag zu Waffenweihungen in griechischen Heiligtümern, Olympische Forschungen 33, Berlin et al. 2011.

which is a consummate archaeological report of all the helmets and helmet parts from Olympia, the weight of the Corinthians. As we all know there is a huge number of these helmets from Olympia, and not one of them weighs more than about 1.3 kg, the majority quite exactly around 1 kg. What is the exact weight of the Dioskouri helmet?
Christian K.

Christian, the helmets are between 7-8 lbs. Is it a bit on the heavy side :whistle: !?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That would mean that they are 3 times heavier than the large amount of the originals. Are they cast completely? The originals, such as the Denda in Munich or the examples from Olympia mostly are very thin at the top back and back of the skull, sometimes less than 0.4 mm ("paper-thin"), while at the same time being quite thick in the face region. As has been discussed elsewhere here on RAT a while ago, the helmets were cast, probably with a very shallow skull, which then was hammered into a much higher form. This method is also testified for early Corinthian helmets, as shown in "Die Helme des Hephaistos".
[Image: v14140.jpg]
Christian K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Kopis From Dioskouri katsika 54 13,699 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Daniel S.
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 1,977 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika