Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts
Quote:You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...
No problems for me Confusedilly:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Bear pelts are no problem. But where does someone get a lion pelt? Is the lion pelt on that signifer made from synthetic material or is it an actual lion skin.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Bear pelts are no problem. But where does someone get a lion pelt? Is the lion pelt on that signifer made from synthetic material or is it an actual lion skin.

It's a real lion. The Gemina project acquired it when the animal had died in a Dutch ZOO and the staff kindly helped them with the paperworks, etc.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hello Jurjen,

Interesting about the lion. Where I live in NY there is a very large zoo and about two hours from my home a safari theme park.
Who knows if I ask them that when one of their lions dies, if I could have the pelt. Somehow being in the States I doubt it.
But it does not hurt to ask.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello!

I'am Antonius from the Legio XXII Primigenia PR P F. This is my Wolf:

[Image: 602526_10151246368374757_293197860_n_zps1996e95e.jpg]

[Image: 391807_10151272340919757_1484676219_n_zpsb29abb59.jpg]

bye!!

ps: hello Jef!
LEG XXII Primigenia Pia Fidelis
Quote:Hello!

I'am Antonius from the Legio XXII Primigenia PR P F. This is my Wolf:
That looks amazing! I do wonder what the Romans might have used (if anything) to replace the eyes - are those made of glass, or something more complicated?
Do we have any evidence for wolf pelts being worn by standard bearers? There are several reenactment groups doing that, I have the impression that it is rather some sort of "reenactorism". And the face masks for standard bearers?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Do we have any evidence for wolf pelts being worn by standard bearers? There are several reenactment groups doing that, I have the impression that it is rather some sort of "reenactorism". And the face masks for standard bearers?

Actually, I have the impression that even using the animal pelt OVER A HELMET might be a re-enactorism as well. Looking at some of the depictions the skin could also be put on the head directly, something like a hat.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote: And the face masks for standard bearers?

I believe there are two stele that show a face mask but some believe it is actually an animal pelt head. I'll try to dig them up:

Quintus Luccius Faustus of XIV Gemina
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Using the bowl from a Trooper helmet (cut off the neck guard, and perhaps remove the cheek pieces) would give a practical use for one of those helmets. I know someone who did basically that. Seems to work fine.
Quote:Looking at some of the depictions the skin could also be put on the head directly, something like a hat.
I have seen some that look that way, too. Hard to know for sure. But a piece of furry skin would provide little protection for the head. A metal under-cap would help, for sure.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Robert very impressive indeed! That lion is huge!

Alexander I read your link to the original thread about the umbo, thanks. Just out of curiosity is the boss a one off or are you able to reproduce it?

Jennifer who made the umbo has the form, but as far as I know, she has no intention to make another copy.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
You're very fortunate then, it's absolutely beautiful.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:
Marcus Mummius post=328833 Wrote:You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...
No problems for me Confusedilly:

Thanks Robert!

Quote: ps: hello Jef!

Salve frater! I hope you are well!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Here is Quintus Luccius Faustus stella:

[attachment=6297]QuintusLucciusFaustus.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: sample5.jpg]

we bought the fur of a lion from a zoo. The lion died naturally of course, but we have to travel always with documentations and permissions.
We chose to close the eyes of the head because I have no evidence romans were using glass eyes to put them into the animal furs.
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo headed animal pelts 73lespaul 2 1,017 04-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Late 2nd Century Aquilifer and Signifer Crest/skin Vitruvius 0 844 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius