Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts
I've always thought that the Signifer and Aquilifer had the best look with the animal skins over top the helmet and legs tied around the neck. I've seen many different impressions, some using bears, wolves, lions...Did any of the ancient writers mention the types of animal pelts used? Bears and wolves would have been common in Europe at the time, lions were also fairly common in the East and Africa.

What would be appropriate to use today? Foxes and Coyote's are readily available for reasonable prices while lions pelts are probably not allowed to be traded anymore unless they have an old provenance. Would any North American cats be a suitable substitute like mountain lions, coyotes? Let's see what people are using.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
I donĀ“t think there is any evidence for wolves being used by standard bearers. Wolves are mentioned for the Republican velites.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Bears are shown on Trajan's column. Here is Bob the bear on one of my helmets:

[attachment=4091]bobthebear.jpg[/attachment]

He is a North American Black bear with a brown coat standing in for a European Brown.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
My signifer's impression with a bear pelt:

http://www.journalscene.com/images/blogs...6B0124.jpg

[attachment=4100]P1010025.JPG[/attachment]

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Very nice guys. Alexander I love that shield!

Antony
Anyone else?

Antony
Alexander, who made the shield? Was it Christian? That umbo looks familiar.

The signum is also beautiful. Is that the one Matt Lukes made?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
[attachment=6286]100_1387.jpg[/attachment]

One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

Good grief, I got that all wrong!! Sorry guys, please see post below by Jurjen with the correct pedigree of this lovely lion :oops:

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Alexander, who made the shield? Was it Christian? That umbo looks familiar.

The signum is also beautiful. Is that the one Matt Lukes made?

The signum was indeed made by Matt Lukes. The parma and the umbo were discussed here.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Robert very impressive indeed! That lion is huge!

Alexander I read your link to the original thread about the umbo, thanks. Just out of curiosity is the boss a one off or are you able to reproduce it?

Antony
Quote:One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

AFAIK not a member of Legio XI. But impressive nonetheless.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

That is Matze from the Romercohorte Opladen (Germany) with the lion skin owned by the Dutch Gemina Project (LEG X GEM). It has been prepared by Paul Karremans, who did some more of the best animals around in re-enactment, in my opinion.
ALA I BATAVORUM
These are great! Smile

More please. :cheer:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Salvete

I'm from Legio XI in Belgium and so I'll show you one of our pelts too.

I have borrowed and worn Gemina's lion pelt and must say that it takes a strong neck to bear it for long periods! It is a great feeling though.

Here's a picture of me with my bearskin. I got the skin from a taxidermist in Canada. Initially I shaped the head with salt water and stuffed wool in it and used it like that for some years.
About two years ago my bear got a facelift by Paul Karremans who did a geat job.

[Image: IMG_5475.jpg]
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo headed animal pelts 73lespaul 2 981 04-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Late 2nd Century Aquilifer and Signifer Crest/skin Vitruvius 0 815 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius