Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontiarius\' pont
Hello all

I am trying to find out more about the bridge/platform/pont shown in a couple of pictures like the graffiti below. I seem to recall there are a couple of other pictures of it but can't for the life of me find them online at the moment. Can anyone help me at all?

[Image: 8465269_3b3b37c126_z.jpg]

My thanks for any extra help you might be able to offer.

Kindest regards

Graham
Hello Gashford.
I know this gladiator representation on a vessel from Langenhain (Taunus), but I think (I have not seen the article personally) that you can find more images in the Bacchielli’s article about the iconographic definition of the pontarii gladiators:

L. BACCHIELLI “I pontarii: una definizione per via iconografica” (publication: 1990 In : L'Africa romana, 7, Atti del VII convegno di studi, Sassari 1989, pp. 769-772).

[attachment=4224]gladiatoriponte.jpg[/attachment]
(ref. Simon, 1975)

Best!
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Maybe you can find other images in Konstantin Nossov´s Gladiator: Rome's Bloody Spectacle. I remember the reconstruction of a pontiarius.
Always on that subject, in the Trieste (Italy) Civico Museo di Storia ed Arte, in the section dedicated to the world of gladiators, there is a relief from Turkey with Greek inscription that remembers the liberation from the games of the retiarius [— —]α̣κριτος.

Best!
S.M.

[attachment=4235]gladiatoriTrieste.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)