Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Descendants of roman patrician families
Does anyone know of any modern families claiming descent from the ancient bloodlines? We were discussing the possibilities last night over some homemade hard cider . Consensus was, that only some of the current royal families might have records to prove their claim. Invasions, migrations,purges, etc would have ended most of the lines.
Douglas
None of the current families have anything like a sensible claim to any of that rofl.

See, however, the acili glabriones in the Byzantine empire, for an example of a long lived line. See also any half decent prosopography with a diachronic bent.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be impolite but the whole idea here is so laughable I'm not really sure how to respond? But I'm sure your "consensus" makes better sense than actual history.
Jass
My family claims to descend from the emperor Augustus himself. It is hard to establish what of this is true, but the rumor's been around for some twenty centuries. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Everyone on earth can trace their line back to some kind of Royalty, but it's so many times removed it doesn't really mean anything. Think of how many people are behind you. Two parents, four grand parents 8 great grand parents, 16 great great grand parents, 32 great great great grand parents....

Although Mark Antony's line of royal offspring lasted centuries, not just the first Emperors of Rome but also client Kingdoms in the east, some lasting into the late 300's! He really did win the war against Octavian!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
My Family is decended from Alexander the Great..... :| :| :-|

Proof: My fathers middle name is Alexander! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:My Family is decended from Alexander the Great..... :| :| :-|

Oh, I forgot to mention, my middle name is Antony too, my grandfather's name is Antony and there are Antony's all through our line, so we are of the Antonius clan... Smile
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:My Family is decended from Alexander the Great..... :| :| :-|

Fortunately, your middle name isn't "the". That's a horrible family, you know. William The Conqueror, Ivan The Terrible, Frederick the Great, Louis The Cruel, Basilius the Bulgar Slayer. Terrible family,
Jona Lendering
My website
I think that there are some families that have a line that is more-or-less generally accepted to reach that far back - like the Japanese Imperial family, for instance. But when it comes to Roman families, I doubt that there is anyone alive today that could come up with such a line that would survive critical scrutiny.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I think you are right about this.
Jona Lendering
My website
I am of Patrician descent.

Disagree and I will have you flogged.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hurrumph...bloody plebian upstart....
You were the client of MY Patrician forbears,,,, :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Do not forget that it was YOUR father who was freed by MY father you Homo Novus you !

You might have tried to erase the official proof, but my family kept a piece !

[Image: MANUMISS.JPG]

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
My poor Marcus,

I fear your father has misled you out of false pride...
for I must inform you tha tit is you're father being freed by mine in this image.
It was given as a gift to your father by mine at his emancipation! Wink
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I feel where this is going.

[spoiler]- No, I am your father.

- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO[/spoiler]

Wink
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Ha ! You wretched usurpator of the Gens of Julius!

I know full well about your descent!

My forefather Vibius Accaus the Palegnian, commander of the Palegnian Cohort, bestowed with honor by the Consuls Fulvius and Appius Claudius because of his heroic actions during the battle for the camp of Hanno in Campania would curse you from the Elysian fields if he heard you talk, you who were born in the Subura, of questionable descent !

Where were the Julii when Hannibal was at the gates ? No where in sight !

If you are indeed the one who calls himself Gaius, is it not then true that it was not Gaius Iulius Caesar the Praetor who impregnated your mother with his seed, but that actually the traitor Gaius Marius did do the bidding of Aurelia Cotta, your mother, who he was madly infatuated with ever since he met her when he returned from Numidia, leaving Sulla to pick up his pieces, in order to become Consul?

Where is your Patrician blood ? Its not even there !

You should be grateful that I worked so hard to have your name removed of Sulla's proscription lists, and that you only had to divorce your wife, but a simple thank you seems to be beyond you.

Oh, do fall over displaying your usual convulsions for all I care, you are so good at that, as you proved in the Senate last week!

I will not speak of this anymore, semi-patrician !

M.VIB.M.

Wink

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did patrician families of Rome used something similar to crests? Corvus 2 1,540 07-10-2018, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Footwear and Families at Vindolanda Vindex 3 1,463 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Last Post: Alanus