Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Round-Up 2003 - Xanten - 21 & 22 June 2003
For a about a year, ever since our first acquintance with Schwerter, Brot und Spiele (Swords, Bread and Games) the above announcement has stood atop RAT-pages. We'd love to see all of you there, but do realise that there's a slight problem. Some RAT-ers live somewhat closer to Xanten (Germany) than others. In fact, there's a factor in the hundreds involved between the closest and furthest living members. Our question is: what kind of programme can we organize around this two-day event to make it worthwhile to come there. I.e.: lectures, social event, trips to museums or a bad-joke-telling contest?<br>
Let's hear it! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 10/14/02 8:52:14 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper, were you planning on inviting the non-lving members? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Why, afraid of ghosts? They wear green tunics, so they must be easily recognizable. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I need to post my Jimmy Buffet tunic...<br>
<br>
Say, what day(s) is Xanten? I can't find the reference. Our Roman Days is in June as well. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Xanten is on the Dutch/German border, just south of the Rhine. Xanten.de is their site I think. But no specific date is named, perhaps they don't know yet?<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Green tunics? Must be the Prima Germanorum based at Hannover their tunics are green. And sometime they even look frightening.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Helge <p></p><i></i>
If you run away from an archer...
Not only do they wear green tunics, they must sure be smelly - mold.... EM<br>
<br>
[Ehh, the York ghosts, I mean, not the Prima Germanorum.]<br>
<br>
Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uvortigernstudies.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 8/2/02 9:05:43 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Jasper, I asked them, it's held at 28 and 29 June next year, with the motto: 'Swords, Bread and Games'. My birthday, wow!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
Here's the official reply:<br>
<br>
Guten Tag,<br>
es findet am Samstag, 28.6. und Sonntag, 29.6.2003 statt. "Schwerter, Brot und Spiele"<br>
Das große Römerfest im Archäologischen Park.<br>
Mit freundlichen Grüßen<br>
Tourist-Information Xanten<br>
M. Marquardt<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Ah, great Robert, thanks for asking! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,<br>
that's still a long way off, and some of us might be back in Iraq by then. If not, I'd be happy to make available the use of the three LEGIO XIIII leather tents and any equipment (like scuta, pila, hasta and other non-air transportables for any U.S. based or similarly out of country RAT members who want to come. I also have a large canvas pavillion type tent that could house any RAT sales and information materials, but could also be slept in if we get a really large crowd. An important "first" is to find out how much space the organizers would give RAT.<br>
<br>
Instead of the usual 1st century display that virtually everyone else there would do, maybe we could plan to make the most extensive multi-period, "evolution of the Roman Army" type display ever assembled. Various RAT members could work on their favorite individual impression, and combined we could really have the most unique and education display at Xanten. There is still nearly a year left to prepare. How about it?<br>
<br>
Dan. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Dan! That's a very generous offer, I hope many RAT-ers will take you up on it. Like the idea about the 'Roman Army through the Ages' display too. Now even I'm getting tempted to get into reenacting! <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,<br>
No problem, I've got spare complete kits from virtually every Roman time period. You just have to pick your favorite and we can reserve it.<br>
<br>
Stateside retired and active military can fly into Ramstein and we can take them to Xanten.<br>
<br>
Maybe you should repost this thread in the reenactment section where more people will see it.<br>
<br>
Dan. <p></p><i></i>
Willdo, if the mods allow me!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Dan,<br>
I would love to participate at Xanten but am not an active re-enactor. I read that you have many extra kits to spare and, if it is possible for me to schedule my participation, I would like to take advantage of the possibility you are proposing and rent a kit from you.<br>
If it is possible then I'll keep in touch and will find a way to make the best choice for the success of Xanten.<br>
I agree that a wide assortment of roman equipment is far more interesting that a uniform crowd all dressed as first century legionaries. I have always been interested in the third century AD.<br>
<br>
jeff <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Jasper,<br>
<br>
Could you somehow fit in two Late Romans? Im planning to attend anyway, but to be part of any planned action would be much more fun!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans