Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trevi Fountain Facade Falls Off
Most places, the food and drink prices were fine; cheaper than the UK. Then we made the mistake of grabbing a coffee at a cafe in the Piazza della Rotonda whilst waiting for the service in the Pantheon to finish......
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Ahhh, yeah, there were one or 2 with higher prices...but 10 euros...guess i was lucky I never found that one.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
....I think we should all be glad that this secretary of culture didn't blame the "northern
barbarians" for this. :wink:

Greez

Simplex

The rest of my opinion is strictly political, so it would most likely be banned.
(Jokes about a certain Mr. B. ARE political :mrgreen: )
Siggi K.
Quote:UNCO TRAHATUR

http://translate.google.com

translates to "hook hook" which can't be true, or "bellow is pulled"

I still say, "What?"
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Unco Trahatur is part of the adclamationes the senate uttered after the death of Commodus, which were grave... :

"http://books.google.nl/books?id=x7WxNVCRjpEC&pg=PA2689&lpg=PA2689&dq=unco+trahatur&source=bl&ots=5FH-j3YCkJ&sig=nMKZm1MgGzWd3qtQg0eFTj0y7dE&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=_zraT7_YJI748QOXt9T3AQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=unco%20trahatur&f=false

(SHA Comm. 18.3-6)

An ancient Roman punishment/degrading act was to drag the body of a traitor (in this case the minister of culture) with hooks through the streets of Rome and dump it in the Tiber.
Whether or not this was ever carried out with a live one on the hooks, I dont know...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The Trevi Fountain never looks quite right without Anita Ekberg wading in it, wearing a low-cut black dress.
Pecunia non olet
No kidding, John!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I wouldn't rush, but then I loathe the bloated stylings of Baroque art and, after a week in Rome, would quite happily have not seen another marble sculpture for a very long time.
Hmm.. perhaps we're on to something here.. Could shed a whole new light on the reasons behind the Sack of Rome!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The Italian article from the Corriere della Sera (Rome edition), with same images and two videos that show the damages. In the first one there is an interview at the Chief of the cultural heritage of Rome (Sovraintendente ai Beni Culturali del Comune di Roma) Umberto Broccoli.

Broccoli in the interview declare: "There are some detachments of stucco, probably because of the snow, fallen in great quantity in February in Rome".

Personally I believe that “it was bound to happen!“ ... it is a hypocritical solution to avoid the responsibilities but... I can only hope that the restoration will bee made well, not just “soon”, and the future safeguard will be taken seriously.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)