Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine Empire
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=289713 Wrote:Late Roman / Byzantine is a vast area, lasting as long as the preceding Roman eras!
Just Byzantine Byron, Late Roman is already included in the 'Roman' section. This thread would be for the period 500-1461, which is why we lodge it with the Greek section.

Yes, indeed. However, the Eastern Empire Considered themselves Roman, even after the Sacking of Constantiople By the Ottomans. Even though they were Greeks. So really, it is still late Roman.
The Empire did not fall with the collapse of the West, as you agree.
How ever, putting it with the Greeks is very acceptable. ;-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes, indeed. However, the Eastern Empire Considered themselves Roman, even after the Sacking of Constantiople By the Ottomans. Even though they were Greeks. So really, it is still late Roman.
The Empire did not fall with the collapse of the West, as you agree.
How ever, putting it with the Greeks is very acceptable. ;-)
It's not that they were Greek, most spoke Greek. At least as a second or third language.

As for sections, there have been plenty of efforts to even remove the Late Romans from the 'main' Roman sections.. ! 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We were definately Greek! Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Seems to me that the people (Romans included) in the East were more related to the Greek culture than the Italian. By Mauritius' day, little remained militarily from the older era. Names for things, names for units and weapons, names for places were rarely Latin sounding. I can't speak with any authority about the culture, but language and culture are often closely related.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Byzantine Empire was a truly multinational Empire.

It attacked massivelly Greek civilization and Greeks. May I remind that Emperors by law forbided the Greek religion, destroyed almost all sacred Greek Temples (out of hundrends, only a few survived) and started genocides against followers of the Greek civilization.
Antonis Aliades

KORYVANTES Association
"Genocide"? calm down, autosomnal DNA, burial archaeology, literary texts all confirm that the people we call Greeks were somewhat dwindling in population sizes anyway and there were whole population movements. There wasn't much to genocide against and nothing the later Romans did should be labelled as such. Blame migrating Slavonic tribes and the foederati system as much as anything else. Oh, and Christianity. But...come on that was uncalled for.

Also, can we not distract from the nice pictures?
Jass
Quote:
Also, can we not distract from the nice pictures?

Quite agree. A seperate thread for the discussion may be in order but this is for the appreciation of others' impressions.

Thanks for sharing.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes, lest not digress and again, I was wondering about the freedom of movement with that excellent reconstruction of the armour, I have only seen in images and book?? :mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hmm.... what is the OP here? I am confused. Was this a digress from another thread?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Yes...right in mid post... :x
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes...right in mid post... :x
Not exactly. We WERE digressing from the Byzantine Warrior impression thread, fair's fair. That quote of mone that this begins with was from wayyy back!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
So... what is the point of the new topic here? Whether the Byzantines should be rightly categorized as Greeks or Romans?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Categorized is perhaps not the right word.. Seems to me that the common denominator of this new thread might be a description of the Byzantine Empire..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
the Byzantian empire should be classified under it own headings since it warred against Greece and ROme and supported enimies of Romeshould be very much allied the persian empire
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=314576 Wrote:Yes...right in mid post... :x
Not exactly. We WERE digressing from the Byzantine Warrior impression thread, fair's fair. That quote of mone that this begins with was from wayyy back!

Well, I started that post in the old thread....and when it confirmed it appeared in the new thread! :wink: So..... :mrgreen:

As for classification, well, what did the Eastern Empire classify themselves as?
They certainly did not call themselves the Byzantine Empire, or so I understand. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would the Byzantine Empire have to do to survive? Steakslim 38 7,942 07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Byzantine Empire: Greek Romans or Roman Greeks? Anonymous 15 6,319 07-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr