Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carnuntum knives
Salvete,

Could anyone please help me gather more info on these knives? They are shown at http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-pugio.html . I am wanting to make a good many different knifetypes, as I have suddenly acquired ample spare time for forging and the like. A detailed drawing of picture with a scalebar would be great, also of the scabbard chape, as I want to do a full reproduction.

Any other interesting knives are also welcome!

Either post pictures here or if copyright prevents general distribution, please mail me at r.p.wimmers<at>hotmail.com
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I dont have other pictures, but I'd also be interested in some better photos. Those knives with the sword like chapes are quite interesting. What period are they dated too anyhow? Late 3rd century?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:I dont have other pictures, but I'd also be interested in some better photos. Those knives with the sword like chapes are quite interesting. What period are they dated too anyhow? Late 3rd century?

Are you talking about the same knifes?
I was in the impression Robert is talking about the second to last picture, where you are talking about the so called 'thekenbeschlage' type knifes? These are indeed from the 3rd century. If you're interested in those, best get yourself a copy of Ludwig Berger - Durchbrochene Messerfuteral-Beschlafe (Thekenbeschlage) aus Augusta Raurica (Forschungen in Augst band 32)
ALA I BATAVORUM
I was thinking of the second to last photo. I guess the chapes at the end remind me very much of chapes from spathas hence my comment. So the second to last photo is dated to the 3rd century? Im not clear from reading you post now Jurjen which one you were referring to.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Other knives used by roman military, not to be confused with the pugio as above, Carnuntum

I was looking at the above titles images too.

I'm of the same mind. These would be a nice addition to an impression.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was thinking of the second to last photo. I guess the chapes at the end remind me very much of chapes from spathas hence my comment. So the second to last photo is dated to the 3rd century? Im not clear from reading you post now Jurjen which one you were referring to.

I was talking about the last picture. But I now see there're indeed chapes in the photograph of the knife Robert was mentioning, which I, in my previous fast view didn't record. Srry for making it a mess.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Sorry for making it a mess.
We can clean everything up. :wink:

I can't really imagine what the knife would look like with the hilt intact. It's a very short blade, right?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I wouldn't be too sure of that. This is the reason I need a scale drawing, though. I presume the blade to be about 12 to 15 cm, judging by the length of the tang. That would make the overall knife about 25 to 30 cm, a substantial piece of cutlery :wink:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin