Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian/Persian soft kit 1 -100 AD?
Hi Alanus, just on yurts or "Scythian tents" I googled yurt and got all sorts of explanations on origin most saying yurt was Turkic or Mongolian invention but I found reference below in chapter 4 stating that yurt was Pontic/Scythian in origin and that they passed this on to neighbours. Book depository wants over $500 for this book but found it on Academia below.
http://archive.org/details/TheOriginOfTheIndo-iranians
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Hi, Michael

Duh! When you're a ancient pastoral person, it SEEMS likely you might construct a handy portable abode that you can put up and take down in an hour or two. Frankly, all that has been attributed to the Mongols was actually made on the steppe thousands of years earlier. I'm willing to bet the Scythians didn't invent the yurt, either. It was probably some person in the early bronze age who had tamed a horse and rode it in the 2nd millenium BC. :whistle:

Thanks for the tip on Mallory's Origins. Just downloaded it. :-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Alanus wrote:
Quote: it SEEMS likely you might construct a handy portable abode that you can put up and take down in an hour or two. Frankly, all that has been attributed to the Mongols was actually made on the steppe thousands of years earlier.
Hi, my apologies for discussing tents/yurts on this thread. I promise my last entry on this subject. But backing up what Alanus said about the origin of yurts/tents. I found an image that I posted on another thread from a 1st Century AD tomb at Kerch depicting a Sarmatian/Alan chief and his family and warriors. I have to ask. What is a 12th Century Mongol invention doing in a 1st Century AD Sarmatian tomb wall?

[attachment=7326]TombatKerch2.jpg[/attachment]

Regards
Michael Kerr

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Simple, really. :cheer:

The Sarmatian yurt pictured above is the original deja vu.
The Mongol yurt is a deja vu all over again. Confusedilly:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

(06-26-2012, 12:21 AM)John Conyard Wrote: A similar topic can be found here.
http://www.amphictyonia.org/forum/index.php?topic=7.15

Hy
I hope that someone can reply to this. We started to do some historical reenactment as sarmatians and for some time we are trying to figure out some things about clothes and materials used.
From that ilustration at point 2 i saw a tunic with triangle collar and short sleeves. I have some problems figuring out if it's a tunic or a kaftan, and from were exactly is that page because i am interested in the whole article. If it's a cloth piece,from where it is depicted ? burial,jewelry,vase,where exactly was found,etc,because if i am doing it i want to know more about it. Thank you
Clicking on the link sent me to Time-Warner.
As far as I know, Sarmatians, Alans, Scythians, and even Persians, all wore kaftans instead of tunics. Problem is, nobody in the U.S. or in Europe offers a custom kaftan for sale. Very maddening.
There are some illustrations here on RAT in sections covering the Kosika vessels. This form has more accurate data on the Alans/Sarmatians than any other website. Use the "Search" feature.
Also, Sergei Yatsenko has an online paper on Sarmatian and Sogdian clothing. Join Academia.edu (free) and find Sergei's article; it's in English. Many knowledgeable friends have downloaded onto Academia, including Robert Vermaat, Gala Argent, Michael Kerr, and Sergei.

(ps: I accepted your Friend/Buddy request, but your Private Message account is not Activated. Wink )
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Hi Alanus
John Conyard left a comment on the first page containing two uploads with two illustrations,one of them containing two pieces of cloth with short sleeve (2) sarmatian cloths 3rd-1st centuries BCE) .
You replyed that it was "originally from the article "Sogdian Costume"." and i would like to read that articleSmile I made our cloths (including hats) based on the documentation i received from Terra Dacica Aeterna asociation,but my problem is with those two pieces with short sleeves! Smile)
We mostly do reenactement of the first to second century when dacian/roman wars happened (with that period cloths,weapons,etc) but.....it's hard for me to believe that one or two types of cloths were worn just between 3rd-1st centuries......that is why i am searching more information about those two pieces Smile
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2gtzxhz&...UAnkuvyhaQ this is the piece i am talking about
I am not sure what that is,tunic or kaftan. As you know...kaftans are not like that so it must be a tunic like alani had, with no sleeves but under the tunic they had a shirt
The piece you marked by the arrow is a tunic, alright. The sleeves look like they end above the elbow, and the tunic has a deep "V" neck. Maybe worn during warm weather. I think there was a lot of variation, but the general clothing worn by Yuezhi, Sarmatians, and Alans was shorter (well above the knee) than later Turkic costume. Good luck on piecing it together. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Thank you, i am at 90% done and starting to do embroidery on the neck and arm bands Smile
I already talked to some people in terra dacica aeterna asociation about it and it seems that it is ok
After i will finish my cloths i will post (if i can) some pictures with them
Ah btw,i started downloading all the books of Sergei Yatsenko,even those in russian because it seems i have a friend that knows russian and can help me with some information