Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
Me, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hello there! I had to contribute to the topic!

[Image: vitalinus-498x1024.jpg]

One of the members of our reenactment group. Flavian legionary.
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Quote:Hello there! I had to contribute to the topic!
Nice one!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello there!I saw you on DA.I'll be watching :wink:
By the way what about to do something little more...ehm...late roman? :-)
I intend to have my depiction of the Battle of Chalons done in a few days. I have most of the center of the page filled with soldiers, now I just gotta put more in the background.
The Probatio

[Image: probatio-735x1024.png]

It will be used for a future pedagogical panel for the public. I must draw at least 30 different pictures in all.
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Ah yes, "The Probing" as I call it. Always sounded like a rather invasive process to me. Tongue
Got my "Battle of Chalons" finished (after a week of drawing). I will have it posted tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

You should be able to recognize a few units; the Undecimani, Cornuti, I Audiatricis (represented with a chi-rho/tau-rho shield, as we have no pattern), and the Fectienses (aka Fectio).

Also presented is a member of the Placidi Valentinianici Felices Iuniores Galliciani (the name is inferred by JB Bury based on the names of 3 detatchments of possibly the same unit, raised in 419 to commemorate the birth or in 425 for the throning of Val. II), and a man bearing an image of Flavius Aetius on his shield.

There are also a few barbarians in the foreground, and quite an ugly (and scrawny) fellow on the side.
Quote:Got my "Battle of Chalons" finished (after a week of drawing). I will have it posted tonight or tomorrow hopefully.
So where's that promised painting?I guess something doesn't go as planned :wink:.
Well I don't paint, and there's a delay (i.e. stupid printer won't scan)
While you guys were discussing painting and barbarians in the foreground, I whipped this one off. This is my theory of how the Western Romans were defeated-- They were hugged to death by female barbarians. :woot:

[attachment=6855]ValkyaRokhshan004.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Evan:Technical problems,yeah I know this myself .-)
Alan:Well,this is bold theory,about that,I have to admit,never heard before :-D
Nice work Jori.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Here we go:

[Image: GktidGp.jpg]

So in the foreground are various units, including the Cornuti, I Audiatricis, Placidi Valentinianici, Undecimani, and Fectienses Seniores.

In the Background is an Alanic Cavalry unit, the Taifali, another Numerus of the Cornuti Seniores, and the Cohors Frisiavonum, meant to represent Iordanes mention of the presence of "Saxons."

Most soldiers either wear Chainmail, a Subarmalis, or No Armor, although there are handful wearing Scale/Lamellar.
Edit: Got it to work. Hooray for Imgur!