Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry
Ok. Concensus of opinion is that although a horse CAN physically eat and walk with a nosebag (evidence cited is working draught horses but suprisingly NOT Hackney cab horses) it isn't recommended and does indeed cause colic.

An interesting but TOTALLY irrelevant snipit however, is the determination of the term "pole position". It is alleged that this term comes from the horse quickest to get it's nosebag on the pole to which it is harnessed, and use the pole to support the bottom of the nose bag so it can reach the food in the very bottom. Problem with this is that the horse has to be part of a team as only then is it harnessed to a pole.

OR

(anyone still awake?)

Pole position is the leader of the team which is on the whip's (the driver'r) right hand side and a very reliable horse...so always put in pole position (which I believe in motor racing is still off set to the right??)

...and then we have the term whip hand but I think I've gone enough off topic as it is!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Steve Kaye - 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Steve Kaye - 07-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Steve Kaye - 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Steve Kaye - 07-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Vindex - 07-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Re: Distance marching rates, infantry v cavalry - by Steve Kaye - 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Safe distance Gunthamund Hasding 32 7,450 10-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: JaM
  Cavalry & chariots as missiles to crush infantry Domen 14 4,096 02-26-2013, 03:01 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Cavalry and chariots against infantry koechlyruestow 164 35,402 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat