Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion destroyed - Roman invasion of Britain TV
I'm watching this three part series and in parts 1 & 2 they referred to a defeat inflicted on a Roman legion by the Silures tribe in southern Wales early in the Roman occupation. The historian host, Bettany Hughes even stated that a legion was destroyed. Tacitus is stated as the source. My Tacitus books are the Penguin paperbacks but I've not found any reference to a destruction or a defeat of a legion. Does anyone know of a specific source for this?
Quote:I'm watching this three part series and in parts 1 & 2 they referred to a defeat inflicted on a Roman legion by the Silures tribe in southern Wales early in the Roman occupation. The historian host, Bettany Hughes even stated that a legion was destroyed. Tacitus is stated as the source. My Tacitus books are the Penguin paperbacks but I've not found any reference to a destruction or a defeat of a legion. Does anyone know of a specific source for this?
Typical TV script hyperbole, I'm afraid. Everything always has to be extremes in case you lose interest an switch over.

The passage concerned is Tacitus Annals XII.38 and tells of several cohorts under a praefectus castrorum on fort-building duties being attacked by the Silures. It is usually assumed by writers (but not stated) that it was legio XX. Reinforcements were sent for and averted a massacre, but the praefectus castrorum, eight centurions, and 'the bravest of the soldiers' were lost. It is unclear whether the subsequent rout of a foraging party supported by cavalry was related (Tacitus is a bit vague).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
There's also a brief note a little later on (Tac. Ann. 12.40) that the legion under the command of Manlius Valens had meanwhile been defeated... by the Silures. But Tacitus says that the 'disaster' was exaggerated by both sides, so obviously it was a long way from the 'destruction' of a legion...
Nathan Ross
Indeed, 'defeated' is different from 'destroyed'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TV series Roman Invasion of Britain JeffF 3 4,141 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Renatus