Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: Ancient army numbers
So you disagree with Arrian's account of Darius flight, supporting that he couldn't have fled as soon? Ok, but I fail to see the real difference among the various sources regarding the "timeframe" of Darius' flight. Although in my opinion, as I stated, Darius most possibly tried to withdraw rather than flee, a move that was mistaken for flight causing the rest of the army to disintegrate (no actual sources support my idea -the only hint being Diodorus' account of the false news that led to the center's disintegration-, it is just a hunch I have, based on my personal respect for Darius' abilities), all sources (Diaries excluded, but they actually say nothing helpful, since they offer no description of the circumstances, no details at all) agree that Darius soon took to flight. NONE says immediately upon "seeing" Alexander.

Arrian does not say that Darius fled while Alexander WAS attacking. He says that 1.he was the first to flee - very understandable, considering that the rest of the men around him would fanatically fight for his safety, this was no ordinary cavalry unit and he doesn't speak about the whole Persian army and 2.that he fled AFTER the phalanx arrived. This allows for a short cavalry fight.

Diodorus describes the Royal Friends squadron trying to stop Alexander. Yet, according to him, the uproar produced by the death of Darius' driver caused false news of his well-being, so that the units on his right started to flee, not the Royal Squadron (by the way, the word guard is not in the text. Diodorus says "τῷ Δαρείῳ σύνταγμα κατ’ ὀλίγον παρερρήγνυτο.", which means that the units [syntagma here does not only mean one unit but the sum of forces arrayed "close to" Darius] close to Darius started to present gaps). Seeing that his right flank now was vulnerable as had been the right from the beginning, he was forced to flee. How soon this happened it is not said but Diodorus has the line disintegrating immediately after the javelin-throw, so that doesn't allow for much time. So, embellished with some more details, Diodorus actually does not refute Arrian as to how soon Darius fled.

Polybius adds more details as to the cavalry fight. The Friends of Darius try to fight but are immediately beaten back, they fall upon those left right in front of the King and in full confusion start to flee in panic. This action is also described as very quick with no substantial resistance on the Persian Friends' part as Diodorus asserts. It is the least possible scenario for me, since had the Friends' not covered the flight of Darius with stern self-sacrifice, Darius would have been taken then and there. I do not see them fly BEFORE the King.

The Diaries (IIRC) only say that the King was abandoned... This is not really helpful because it could be interpreted in a number of ways, maybe that later few troops joined in with him, maybe simply that other units fled first -actually complies with all sources-. Who knows?

Bosworth makes another strange remark. He, for some reason, finds it strange that "only" so few of the Persian "center" followed him after the battle... There are so many reasons as to why a unit would not follow him that it is strange to actually find such a thing strange... What is truly peculiar is the fact that infantry is attested to have followed. In order for footmen to follow Darius in his flight, he should not have left in such a great hurry after all, which can only be attributed to Alexander's decision to relieve Parmenio. Why others didn't? According to Diodorus he proved his intelligence by taking another route of flight. He wouldn't have achieved that if he had allowed others to follow him. So, IF we take trust Diodorus, he probably left without brandishing his standard, only informing these elite units of his true intentions. Else, anyone who saw the standard would follow and that would leave a too conspicuous trail for Alexander to follow, rendering the stratagem, as described by Diodorus, simply a failure.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ancient army numbers - by Macedon - 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by Macedon - 07-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by Paralus - 07-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by Macedon - 07-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by Macedon - 07-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by Macedon - 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Battle of Gaugamela - by hoplite14gr - 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM