Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agen-Port Gallic type B question
Hi everyone

I'm looking for info on this helmet. Specifically about the cheeks. I am wondering if the edges are rolled or is the edging a separate piece?

Here also are some pictures of the repro I'm currently working on. It is raised from a sheet of steel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dean
[attachment=4688]kl_Weis-Mainz-RGZM-copy6.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4689]PhotoJul2262332PM.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4690]PhotoJul2262345PM.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
I'll answer my own question after finding some new photos of this helmet in books I have. It appears to be embossed, not rolled or edged. I also realize I have some proportions very minorly wrong but this is correctable.

I still welcome comments or direct references to this helmet.
Dean Cunningham,

You making this for an aussie customer? heh heh :mrgreen:

Looks fantastic Dean. I was looking it over on FB, your workshop looks great!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Byron. It will be up for sale when I finish. Now I have to figure out why the pics posted upside down and fix that.
Dean Cunningham,

Excellent work Dean!! Do you have a website where your work is posted?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Awesome helmet Big Grin keep it up! Big Grin
i'm thinking of making a coolus one, made of brass... i don't think i have the skills to make a gallic one... yet... Tongue
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
If you have the skills to raise a coolus you may have or are very near the skills to do a Gallic type.

Doc you can follow me on Facebook and my blog right now while I finish my website. http://www.facebook.com/pages/DMC-Metals...1240629477
Dean Cunningham,

Saw your ''Raising" album Big Grin pretty useful tutorial Tongue i'll certainly will use it when making my coolus
Hello Dean,

Thanks for the link
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Some work today on the tail.

Dean Cunningham,

Check this out if you want to know what some of my inspiration was for building my forge. http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/armor/..._index.htm
Dean Cunningham,

hahaha it's looking awesome Big Grin btw, this Norman helmet is pretty inspiring indeed, i've read that page a lot Tongue looking at any pic and wondering every step
Here is the helmet finished. All hot raised and worked primarily from the outside. The bowl is asymmetrical and the eyebrows are also asymmetrical as is the original. Not every hammer mark is sanded or plannished out as would have been true on the original. Rivets as per the original and the rivets that join the tail and the skull have been hidden.

Dean Cunningham,

Excellent results Dean. The helmet is well done. Great job mate!

Jim
Another great helmet Dean. Glad to see your hard at it again. I am very fortunate to be amongst those who have the pleasure of owning one of your pieces of art.

Keep up the amazing work, Mark.
Marcus Aurelius Cotta
(Mark I)
Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 810 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Cheap Agen Port Project btswanfury 2 2,121 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs
  Where to get a gallic h/g type helmet? Virilis 5 2,289 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Virilis