Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What books do you want to see?
Quote:Ann Hyland's Equus: The Horse in the Roman World (1990) covers both these aspects fairly well (using the author's personal experience of horse training), although it is quite old now. Does it need significant revision though?

Well, I'm not that big a fan of Hyland. Furthermore she's a big fan of arabic horses and knows a lot about endurance, but less about classical dressage.

Furthermore I indeed would suggest that her books need significant revision. At least I (and an academic I know working on greek cavalry) wouldn't suggest her books to anyone interested in ancient horsemanship.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Furthermore I indeed would suggest that her books need significant revision. At least I (and an academic I know working on greek cavalry) wouldn't suggest her books to anyone interested in ancient horsemanship.
I was about to ask what books you would recommend instead, but then I remembered what thread we are in. Undecided
Quote:
Jvrjenivs post=317380 Wrote:Furthermore I indeed would suggest that her books need significant revision. At least I (and an academic I know working on greek cavalry) wouldn't suggest her books to anyone interested in ancient horsemanship.

I was about to ask what books you would recommend instead, but then I remembered what thread we are in. Undecided

Agree again Jurjen - and you can't go far wrong with reading Xenophon's original handbook.

There's a big difference between riding western style and Roman riding and although Hyland was part of Connolly's trials on his reconstructed saddle, I am not a fan of her views on bits and bitting.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!