Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiz
There are indeed many Villas around the southern areas of England but only a few here in Northumberland must go chase a few more in some of my books.
Brian Stobbs
Littlecote Villa - the 'orpheus' mosaic.

Function? Well, it's a large hall, part triconch part rectangular, probably used as a pagan cultic dining hall separate from the main villa, with its own bath suite and courtyard constructed c360. The mosaic may represent Orpheus, or Apollo 'with orphic attributes' (Toynbee, Britannia, 1981).

Unusual layout - hmm, halls like this are usually integrated with the main building, perhaps? It has a very long rectangular area outside the triconch (for lesser status diners)? Otherwise not sure!
Nathan Ross
Hi Nathan,

Good enough for me. Correct place, correct function.

The 'unusual layout' that I was looking for is that this part of the building was built across part of the Roman London-Bath road. Not very common in Roman days - but perhaps the villa owner was powerful enough to force a 'Littlecote bypass!' :woot:

Over to you Nathan!

[attachment=7319]mosaicorpheuslittlecote.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7320]mosaic.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7321]mosaiclittlecotevillalayout.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7322]mosaiclittlecotevilla.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7323]mosaiclittlecotevillaplan.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Alright, here's another bit of unusual domestic architecture. Again, where and what?:

[attachment=7324]Image.jpg[/attachment]

Nathan Ross
Is that supposed to be a leopard in the mosaic btw?
Some clues - it's part of a villa, in Italy, next to the sea... ;-)
Nathan Ross
The villa of Licinius Murena? With the basins for some kind of exotic warm water fish?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
That would be neat, but sadly no! It's actually a form of dining room...
Nathan Ross
Tiberius' villa at...erm...Clactonius??

Damn - can't remember it; will have to go and look it up! :errr:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sperlonga? (although Clactonius - or Clactonium - might have been safer...)

No, it's not! ;-)
Nathan Ross
Hmm, I suspect nobody's going to get this one (or perhaps nobody fancies guessing?)...

So, to get things moving again, I'll reveal that the picture above was taken at the Roman Villa at Minori on the Amalfi coast. The room is apparently a nymphaeum-triclinium: the water cascaded down the 'stairs' at the back and flowed around the decorative basins in front of the seating couches; diners could presumably dabble their hands in the water as they ate, or even float dishes in the basins, perhaps... More pics of the triclinium here.

Meanwhile, an easy one for anyone who fancies continuing. Where's this tree?:

[attachment=7403]tree.jpg[/attachment]

Nathan Ross
The Forum in Rome?
Quote:The Forum in Rome?

Very close! ;-)
Nathan Ross
Baths of Caracalla?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Or is it the tree on the little mound that partially covers the well in the garden outside of the imperial palace, in front of the Museo Palatino?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.