Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiz
Quote:I concour we are stumped and need more clues.
I suspected this one would be easy - seems not!

OK - a give-away: It's a Roman villa in Spain, close to a north-western city beginning with the letter V... :wink:
Nathan Ross
Puras
Manius Acilius Italicus
Villa Almenara.
But it's a woman reclining, not a man.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Puras

Quote:Villa Almenara. But it's a woman reclining, not a man.
Hah, tricky - it is in fact the villa of Almenara-Puras, near Valladolid, Spain! It's actually situated between the villages of Almenara-de-Adaja and Puras, but a bit closer to Almenara...

The site is now the MUSEO DE LAS VILLAS ROMANAS, and is very well presented, with an extensive excavation:

[attachment=4864]Mosaicsmall.jpg[/attachment]

And this splendid, if rather generic, reconstruction villa:

[attachment=4863]AlmenaraPuras.jpg[/attachment]

Anyway, on balance I think Matt had the name closer (it's usually abbreviated to Villa Almenara, but not to Puras) - plus it actually is a woman reclining, now I look more closely... :oops:

So - I reckon Matt gets it, Robert Cherry a close second...

Edit - although I'm not sure, now I think about it - anyone care to arbitrate? :???:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
Definitely give it to Matt. I had the entire title in front of me, then realized that I am having more fun, not to mention the learning process just looking for the answers.
It didn't help either when I saw how I spelled "concur". Sorry about that.
Manius Acilius Italicus
How about 227 rocks and some green plants in my back garden?
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Enlighten us. How about?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I was going to put up something REALLY obscure, then realised that I was probably the only person (with the possible exception of one other forumite) to have seen it....so here's something relatively simple:-

[attachment=4865]arch.JPG[/attachment]

"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Too simple... It's the arch of Marcus Aurelius in Tripoli. Thanks for bringing up some good memories.

Good memories I also have of this place. This is the site of one of the most famous military actions in history. I would love to write a novel about it one day.

[attachment=4867]1_2012-08-11.jpg[/attachment]

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Too simple... It's the arch of Marcus Aurelius in Tripoli. Thanks for bringing up some good memories.

I knew you'd get that and did think about applying a specific exclusion to you. :wink:
A think I should have posted this one just for you Jona (I'm not having another go but I'm curious to know if you'd have got this one).

[attachment=4868]1.JPG[/attachment]

"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:The site is now the MUSEO DE LAS VILLAS ROMANAS, and is very well presented, with an extensive excavation. And this splendid, if rather generic, reconstruction villa.
So it was one of your holiday snaps, Nathan? Mine was too. (Busman's holiday! :wink: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:A think I should have posted this one just for you Jona (I'm not having another go but I'm curious to know if you'd have got this one).
Jericho?
Quote:A think I should have posted this one just for you Jona (I'm not having another go but I'm curious to know if you'd have got this one).
I have no idea! I was reminded of the entrance to the hippodrome of Lepcis Magna, but that was square. What is it?

And to separate this private discussion from the main topic, here is another photo of the quiz question: the site of a famous military confrontation from Antiquity.

[attachment=4869]2.jpg[/attachment]

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Iskenderun?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:This is the site of one of the most famous military actions in history. I would love to write a novel about it one day.
It's Tripoli beach, isn't it, Jona? I presumed you meant the military action of 1943, but you have said "from antiquity". Now you have foxed me. :?