Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiz
Teutoburg Forest?
Manius Acilius Italicus
Quote:Here´s a more difficult one, I think :-)

Reste eines römischen Amphitheaters beim ehem. Kastell Hammerschmiede © Astrodoc 2008 Tongue
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre. :-)
The description you provide in the link is wrong, though, there is no "Kastell Hammerschmiede"...
There is a similar find from Künzing:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastell_Künzing
and, of course, Zugmantel (Nathan was very close) :-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
caiusbeerquitius post=317643 Wrote:Here´s a more difficult one, I think :-)

Reste eines römischen Amphitheaters beim ehem. Kastell Hammerschmiede © Astrodoc 2008 Tongue
Google image search? If so, tut tut! (I tried that with an earlier image but couldn't find a caption for the photograph. Deeply ashamed...)
My helmet is off to those who recognized this photo as an "amphitheatre", where there is not more than a ridge with trees. It was a dead ringer for a photo of an area I found of the Teutoburg Forest. Good job Robert.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Over to Ildar then, I think... :-)
Nathan Ross
Quote:Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre. :-)
The description you provide in the link is wrong, though, there is no "Kastell Hammerschmiede"...

I did not provide the description — the author of the photograph did. The author also supplied the coordinates and pointed the spot in Google Maps. Indeed, Dambach is nearby, about 2-3 km, but a place under the address of "Hammerschmiede 51, 91725 Ehingen, Bayern" is even closer.

Quote:Google image search? If so, tut tut!

Just Google search. There were some hints as well — blurry remnants of the copyright in the bottom right corner of the photograph, the number in the name of the file (16448893.jpg; this is the ID of the photograph in the "Panoramio" service), and, finally, the term "amphitheatre" (thank you, Nathan).

Quote:Over to Ildar then, I think... :-)

Ok, even though Christian did not pass me the turn, I will submit the next simple question for the quiz. What is behind these towers?

[attachment=4803]1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4804]2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ildar Kayumov
Quote:caiusbeerquitius wrote:

Yes, it is the Dambach "Numeruskastell"´s small Amphitheatre.

I did not provide the description — the author of the photograph did. The author also supplied the coordinates and pointed the spot in Google Maps. Indeed, Dambach is nearby, about 2-3 km, but a place under the address of "Hammerschmiede 51, 91725 Ehingen, Bayern" is even closer.

Robert Matthew wrote:

Google image search? If so, tut tut!

Just Google search. There were some hints as well — blurry remnants of the copyright in the bottom right corner of the photograph, the number in the name of the file (16448893.jpg; this is the ID of the photograph in the "Panoramio" service), and, finally, the term "amphitheatre" (thank you, Nathan).
Hm. I think you didn´t get the idea of the game. I didn´t think this this was supposed to be an internet-picture-search. The "Hammerschmiede" is a street name nearby, named a a factory that stood close by. The site is "Kastell Dambach". But, whatever. Nice pics you have there.

Quote:Ok, even though Christian did not pass me the turn
I thought a "yes" was enough. Sorry.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:What is behind these towers?
That's the theater of Bosra in Syria, isn't it?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:That's the theater of Bosra in Syria, isn't it?

Yes. Over to you, Jona!

[attachment=4809]3.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4810]4.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4811]5.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4812]6.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4813]7.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4814]8.jpg[/attachment]

Photographs: Alexey Kozlenko © 2007

[attachment=4815]google-map.jpg[/attachment]

Ildar Kayumov
Great thread Jona - I'm learning lots. Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Great thread Jona - I'm learning lots. Big Grin
I had not expected it would be this nice.

Well, here's the next question. A famous battlefield. Good luck!
[attachment=4817]1.JPG[/attachment]

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thermopylae?
Actium (Preveza)?
Nathan Ross
Salamis?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)