Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0 AD
Completely off topic, I know, but there wasn't year 0, was there?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
How many days difference between 0 AD and 0 BC? :woot:

Actually, I think AD 0 is "more correcter" for the AD part Confusedilly:

Possibly the date for Jesus was correct, but his birth was extendedly premature :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Completely off topic, I know, but there wasn't year 0, was there?
Nope. And that's why 2001 was the first year of the third millennium, not 2000.

Except that we don't really know when the year 1000 was let alone the year 1. The turn of the 3rd millennium is guesswork just like the turn of the 2nd was. :-)
Roger
He's got a point, do we really have enough people who knew how to count to definitively say this is 2013?
Quote:Except that we don't really know when the year 1000 was let alone the year 1. The turn of the 3rd millennium is guesswork just like the turn of the 2nd was. :-)
Why would you say that? Individual events may be a year or so off due to differences in reporting, but that's different from 'we don't really know when'. There may not have been records in the amount as we keep today, but we have a good idea from all the (surviving) written sources when the year 1000 was, and indeed year 1 as well. Enough dots exist, and enough lines can be drawn to connect them. We may not have one source that covers the entire period, but we have enough sources that cover parts, and each other, in a corresponding manner. It's not that we have to guess because we miss whole decades or something.

The Anno Domini system was developed in 525, and widely used after the 9th century. It was based on the Cursus Paschalis (Easter Tables), a 5th-c. system to compute the day of Easter each year which continued the Olympiad system, and which evolved into a system of historical record keeping.

We KNOW when the year 1000 occurred (in retrospect of course), and we also know when the year 1 occurred. We know even better when the trun of the 3rd millennium occured: that was january 1st, year AD 2001. A bit longer than 12.5 years ago. :-P
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There is no year 0. Calendar goes from 1 BC to 1 AD (Alex Trebek, Jeopardy)