Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secondary sidearm for 4th century centurion
Hi there!

I'm reenacting a late 4th century centurion, and I was wondering if I could use another sidearm besides my spatha.

Pugio - explicitly mentioned, that no findings afte 3rd century, so no.
Culter/cultellus - I have pictures of findings, and I could make one, but I'm not really sure. It is perceived more as a tool than a weapon (but still, dolabra and bipennis/securis is a tool also).
Semispatha - might be a bit too large, I've seen a 60 cm finding, that's waaaay too long.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
How about a knife? Like the ones found at Lankhill, that have a blade length of between 12-14cm, with about a 4-5cm width?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
A semi spatha would be ok.
There is also a knife or two tha tcould be used.
i have one from Erik konig based on finds over quite a long stretch,
that could be acceptable.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There are plenty of options. Remember that the Late army were largely missile based. A couple of spicula or veruta could do the job, or a francisca. Maybe even some plumbata...just in case! Big Grin
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
A couple of us in the Batavi carry francisca axes as a second sidearm. Useful close in, for throwing & as eating axes Smile
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
I have a couple as well. I still think some form of dagger/knife is a good option too.
You can never have too many weapons! Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the fast answers, guys. I'm trying to decide between francisca (though I can find no sources before early 5th cent.), and a knife.
Go for a knife. A francisca is harder to provenance I recall. More a reenactorism, but still fun to chuck at things. You would still have a knife after the axe was launched though.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The francisca is a matter of money for me, which is the hard part, since I'm a student. I'll go with the knife for now, I've got some pretty badass pictures of findings. Though I might buy an axe for the next season. Would be amazing if before the clash I could throw it in the gepid line's face :twisted: .

Still it is interesting, how they've drawn the bipennis/securis for the Fabricae part in the NotDig, as a "standard" weapon. Though we have a katzbälger there too, I reckon that would be a semi-spatha.
Pugios do reappear in the 4th century, so you might still go for that.
Myself I use a large knife found locally in a grave from this period.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Pugios do reappear in the 4th century, so you might still go for that.

Oh yes? do enlighten me!!! :grin:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=317845 Wrote:Pugios do reappear in the 4th century, so you might still go for that.
Oh yes? do enlighten me!!! :grin:
My mistake, they reappear during the 3rd century of course. I guess I was thinking of other knives and daggers and got my centuries mixed up.
Having said that, it seems that other 3rd c. weapons continued in use during the 4th century, the Roman army did not decommission arms or armour when new styles were introduced.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
How about this one? (thanks Juan):
Late Roman 'Thekenbeschlag' knives:

http://epa.oszk.hu/02000/02007/00030/pdf...45-063.pdf.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:My mistake, they reappear during the 3rd century of course. I guess I was thinking of other knives and daggers and got my centuries mixed up.

Thought so.
What about those rather wicked Iberian 'skinning knives' with the fancy openwork sheaths? They're very nice.
I think it's either that or the typical 'Gallo-Roman' style of knife you see at Lankhills, Abbeville, Voerendaal etc...
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:What about those rather wicked Iberian 'skinning knives' with the fancy openwork sheaths? They're very nice.
Absolutely. I'll try later to dig up a nice picture of that one. they are worn only very local though, so you'd have to take care which impression you would want to do. I don't think it would suit a centenarius on the Rhine or in the East. Perhaps not even outside Spain.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2nd century centurion Ioannis 21 7,683 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Ioannis
  1st century BC Centurion question maius 37 8,855 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar