Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colchester
Greetings all

I'm whizzing through Colchester at the weekend and want to make the most of my time.

I know Facilis is there in all his glory and one or two cavalry stele - is there anything else I should look out for?

Thank you in advance.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The Iceni....nasty bunch..... :grin:
Kevin
Kevin
I have the good fortune to have come from Colonia Victrix itself. Lots of iron age and Roman stuff, the museum in the Norman castle on the site of the temple of Claudius is woth a look but is very standard. The wall around the town still stands to a fair height and the Balkerne gateway still stands on the western side of the town. Theres also a small ruin of an early Christian church at the police station. A bit further a field are the remains of the Iron age ramparts and Gosbecks archaelogical park (i've not been there so i can't comment, later stuff includes various medieval houses, St Botolphs priory ruins and the rather nice castle and grounds. The vaults to the temple of Claudius are sometimes open in the castle and quite atmospheric. The iceni just passed through its Trinovante and Cautevellaui country. Best thing about Colchester is Kathleens kitchen home to the finest pastries and lardy cakes.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Quote:I have the good fortune to have come from Colonia Victrix itself. Lots of iron age and Roman stuff, the museum in the Norman castle on the site of the temple of Claudius is woth a look but is very standard. The wall around the town still stands to a fair height and the Balkerne gateway still stands on the western side of the town. Theres also a small ruin of an early Christian church at the police station. A bit further a field are the remains of the Iron age ramparts and Gosbecks archaelogical park (i've not been there so i can't comment, later stuff includes various medieval houses, St Botolphs priory ruins and the rather nice castle and grounds. The vaults to the temple of Claudius are sometimes open in the castle and quite atmospheric. The iceni just passed through its Trinovante and Cautevellaui country. Best thing about Colchester is Kathleens kitchen home to the finest pastries and lardy cakes.

That's grand - thank you very much Richard. Particularly the lardy cake info :wink:

Kevin - I hope my visit won't have the same impact for Colchester as the last time the Iceni turned up! I'm only there for half a day... Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
And.......................if you look really carefully you will see the decendants of the original essex girls!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Didn't get to Kathleen's Kitchen but met plently of Essex girl throwbacks ( Confusedhock: )

What I DID find and about which I got VERY excited - much to the consternation of my friends who bravely accompanied me - are these!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

And the Colchester Vase.

Lots to see actually - the museum has been well updated and although the biggest disappointment is that there is no guide AT ALL, you can take as many photographs as you like. Sadly my camera hasn't recovered from being bounced on concrete so the focus isn't quite right on some of my pictures; an excuse to go again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Aha so you found the roman stones!!!!!!!!!!
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Or do you me the items that look suspiciously like saddle stiffeners? lol
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Quote:Or do you me the items that look suspiciously like saddle stiffeners? lol

:mrgreen:
Moi Watson

When I was in Colchester - back in 1978 - with Professor Eric Birley, we were allowed down into the foundations of Claudius' Temple, upon which the Norman Keep was built.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae