Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real story of Horatius at the Bridge.
Sorry didn't know where best to post this, but I had to share it! <br>
<br>
Almost more truth than humour I fear:<br>
<br>
The True Story<br>
(By Colonel W C Hall, printed in the British Army Journal January 1953.)<br>
<br>
<br>
Rome, II Calends, April CCCLX<br>
SUBJECT: Recommendation for Senate Medal of Honor<br>
<br>
TO: Department of War, Republic of Rome<br>
<br>
I. Recommend Caius Horatius, Captain of Foot, CMCMXIV, for the Senate Medal of Honor.<br>
<br>
II. Captain Horatius has served XVI years, all honorable.<br>
<br>
III. On the II day of March, during the attack on the city by Lars Porsena of Clausium and his Tuscan Army of CMX men, Captain Horatius, with Sergeant Sporius Laritus and Corporal Julius Herminius, held the entire Tuscan army at the far end of the bridge, until the structure could be destroyed, thereby saving the city.<br>
<br>
IV. Captain Horatius did valiantly fight and kill one Major Picus of Clausium in individual combat.<br>
<br>
V. The exemplary courage and the outstanding leadership of Captain Horatius are in the highest tradition of the Roman Army.<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
JULIUS ANTINOUS,<br>
Commander, II Foot Legion<br>
Ist, Ind, AG IV Calends, April CCCLX<br>
TO: G-III<br>
<br>
For comment.<br>
<br>
<br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
<br>
G.C.<br>
IInd Ind, G-III IX Calends, May CCC<br>
<br>
TO: G-II<br>
<br>
I. For comment and forwarding.<br>
<br>
II. Change end of paragraph III from "saving the city" to "lessened the effectiveness of the enemy attack." The Roman Army was well dispersed tactically; the reserve has not been committed. The phrase as written might be construed to cast aspersions on our fine army.<br>
<br>
III. Change paragraph V from "outstanding leadership" to read "commendable initiative." Captain Horatius's command was II men, only I/IV of a squad.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
J.D.<br>
IIId Ind, G-II II Ides, June CCCLX<br>
<br>
TO: G-I<br>
<br>
I. Omit strength of Tuscan forces in paragraph III. This information is classified.<br>
<br>
II. A report evaluated as B-II states that the officer was a Captain Picus of Tifernum. Recommend change to "an officer of the enemy forces."<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
J.H.<br>
IVth Ind, G-I IX Ides, January CCCLXI<br>
<br>
TO: JAG<br>
<br>
I. Full name is Caius Claudius Horatius.<br>
<br>
II. Change service from XVI to XV years. One year in Romulus Chapter BPOE, has been given credit for military service in error.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
E.J.<br>
Vth Ind, JAG II, February CCCLXI<br>
<br>
TO: AG<br>
<br>
I. The Porsena raid was not during wartime; the temple of Janus was closed.<br>
<br>
II. The action against the Porsena raid, ipso facto, was a police action.<br>
<br>
III. The Senate Medal of Honor cannot be awarded in peacetime (AB/CVIII-XXV, paragraph XII, C).<br>
<br>
IV. Suggest consideration for Soldier's Medal.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
P.B.<br>
VIth Ind, AF IV Calends, April CCCLXI<br>
<br>
<br>
Concur in paragraph IV, Vth Ind.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
L.J.<br>
VIIth Ind, G-I I May CCCLXI<br>
<br>
<br>
Soldier's medal is given for saving lives; suggest star of bronze as appropriate.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
E.J.<br>
VIIIth Ind, JAG II Calends, June CCCLXI<br>
<br>
TO: JAG<br>
<br>
>For opinion.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
G.C.<br>
IXth Ind, JAG II Calends, September CCCLXI<br>
<br>
I. XVIII months have elapsed since event described in basic letter. Star of bronze cannot be awarded after XV months have elapsed.<br>
<br>
II. Officer is eligible for Papyrus Scroll with Metal Pendant.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
P.B.<br>
X Ind, AG I Calends, October CCCLXI<br>
<br>
<br>
For draft of citation for Papyrus Scroll with Metal Pendant.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
P.B.<br>
XI Ind, G-I III Calends, October CCCLXI<br>
<br>
TO: G-II<br>
<br>
I. Do not concur.<br>
<br>
II. Our currently fine relations with Tuscany would suffer and current delicate negotiations might be jeopardized if publicity were given to Captain Horatius' actions at this time.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
T.J.<br>
XII Ind, G-II VI November CCCLXI<br>
<br>
<br>
A report rated D-IV, partially verified, states that Lars Porsena is very sensitive about the Horatius affair.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
E.T.<br>
XIIIth Ind, G-I X November CCCLXI<br>
<br>
<br>
I. In view of information contained in preceding XI and XIII the endorsements, you will prepare immediate orders of Captain C. C. Horatius to one of our overseas stations (remote).<br>
<br>
II. His attention will be directed to paragraph XII, POM, which prohibits interviews or conversations with newsmen prior to arrival at final destination.<br>
<br>
L.T.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Rome II Calends, I April CCCLXII<br>
<br>
SUBJECT: Survey, Report of, Department of War<br>
<br>
TO: Captain Caius Caius Horatius, III Legion, V Phalanx, APO XIX, C/O Postmaster, Rome.<br>
<br>
I. Your statements concerning the loss of your shield and sword in the Tiber River of III March CCCLX have been carefully considered.<br>
<br>
II. It is admitted that you were briefly in action against certain unfriendly elements on that day. However, Sergeant Lartius and Corporal Herminius were in the same action and did not lose any government property.<br>
<br>
III. The Finance Officer has been directed to reduce your next pay by II-I/IV talents (I-III/IV talents cost on each sword, officers; III/IV talent cost of one each shield, M-II).<br>
<br>
IV. You are enjoined and admonished to pay strict attention to conservation of government funds and property. The budget must be balanced next year.<br>
<br>
H. MARCUS AURELIUS<br>
Lieutenant of Horse<br>
Survey Officer<br>
<br>
(Sorry, just realized that I should have put this in OT, feel free to move it. Thanks) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=brasidus>Brasidus</A> at: 12/15/03 9:29 pm<br></i>