Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour
Interesting specimen particularly since coming from the least known to us era. Centaurs, as mythological beings, trace their origins down to the era of introduction of the horse in Greece and it is not accidental their "homeland" was in Thessalia, the main region in Greece that could sustain a large number of horses. They do represent the perfect union between rider and horse - i.e. the rider becoming one with the horse - and as such they primarily were noted as warlike creatures. Thus though I do agree with everyone on the difficulty to interpret the lines, I would bet these present rough outlines of a kind of armor rather than a garment or at least it is easier to imagine the first rather than the second. Given that late Mycenaen armor came often in articulated designs, it would not surprise me at all if they used this design for complete outer-right hand protection (note how the left hand does not have this - thus it is also valid to imagine the existence of a shield). Also the front side does seem some kind of latin-like breastplate held by straps. Nothing conclusive and I would not jump up to claim anything but if I had to bet on something I would indeed bet on existence of a kind of armor-attire and not of plain clothing or tatoos or religious symbols and such.

Messages In This Thread
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by h.k.linderot - 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Dan Howard - 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 141,131 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,920 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,700 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale