Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour
Quote:
Nikanor post=322965 Wrote:Given that late Mycenaen armor came often in articulated designs
I would think that there is nowhere near enough evidence to conclude this.

I do know what you mean Dan. But then there is even less evidence for other types of armor of that era.

We have:
- Articulated in Dendra.
- Articulated in Thebes.
- Various depictions of partial or full articulated armors in artwork of that era
- Articulated armors appear even in Linear B tablets lists of stocks as pictograms
- Articulated armors used with phasganon swords are depicted even among Sea People - on which we know Mycenaeans were a major part.

Certainly I did not mean that articulated armors were the only ones worn by Mycenaeans - I feel safe to speculate they would have all other types too. But somehow depictions and findings of articulated ones are more in % than what we find for later times. Maybe circumstantial but that is what we have up to now.

Quote:Currently all we can do is present a handful of possible solutions - a couple of which are segmented types - and wait for more evidence to present itself

I fully agree Dan. We can propose only what we can see.

Quote:Right now there is nothing at all to suggest that they used segmented arm armour

I agree. We have to find something first.
But if we do it would not be a surprise at all, it would be banal. 2nd millenia armies of Greece and Middle East seemed to already use most of the basic armor configurations that circulated till appearence of gunpowder. Then, we have depictions of soldiers using a single right shoulder-protection (that could be as well a detachable part of an articulated armor)- the left hand being hidden behind the shield. This is not far from adding a full-hand protection like the segmented hand.

Messages In This Thread
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by h.k.linderot - 08-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Nikanor - 11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour - by Dan Howard - 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 141,129 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,920 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,700 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale