Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few feeble attempts at swords
The reason I say feeble is that they are not made to any historical accuracy and they are made mostly in a crude manner due to the fact that I only have access to a large coarse belt sander, angle grinder and hand drill.

These are admittedly rough. None of the blades are hardened nor polished. I knew very little about making a sword and initially only wanted a display to go alongside my other display swords. Since then I have become more interested in historical accuracy and especially in Roman weaponry and tactics.

Anyway, at the risk of seeming totally incompetent, here are my models (as is and mostly unfinished as they need serious polishing)

I'm a noob, please be gentle lol

[attachment=5021]Gladius3b.JPG[/attachment]

BTW, the far left was my first attempt and I knew at the time it was too narrow but I had this neat piece of stainless so it is a bit "sting" like from LOTR. The far right is a second generation re-shaping of my original spatha blade and will also be re-shaped again as I doubt it's shape matches any historical examples.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi,

Continuous attempts makes a man perfect.

Regards,
Suhel
What can i say? I would never be able to make something like this. You will probably end becoming a great blacksmith.
Eduardo Vázquez
You actually can do a fairly decent job with stock removal using the aforementioned tools. I don't have access to a forge so unless I win the lottery and build myself a top=notch shop then I will have to buy my quality blades.

A lesson in creating a proper look alike Roman sword is to do more than look at photos lol.

Live and learn I suppose. These are a good lesson in making things wrong but not looking too badly in the process ;-)
Jim,
I know there has to be some attempt at historical accuracy when portraying these ancient warriors and their weapons, but just keeping trying to produce something that makes you happy and satisfied you have done your best.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Quote:The reason I say feeble is that they are not made to any historical accuracy and they are made mostly in a crude manner due to the fact that I only have access to a large coarse belt sander, angle grinder and hand drill.
Feeble? You have high standards! I wish I could make such things..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I've found scabbards much more difficult to make than the swords. they require a lot of tedious work and special tools. I need to buy some brass and start making an attempt.

The third sword frm the left up there is a Fulham shape but the hilt bits are my own whims really and the guard and pommel are much wider than the Romans would have made.

looking around it seems to me that although there is a common overall design with gladii I have seen none that are identical so my guess is that many styles were almost individual if not for the bearer then on the personal style of the maker.

Would you more knowledgable folks here think this is an accurate view?

Jim

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First drawing attempts Please give input Augustus Janus 13 3,141 09-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  A few feeble attempts at swords Augustus Janus 0 1,089 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Augustus Janus