Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum upgrading progress
I thought I'd keep track of what I'm doing so you guys can see there is actually something going on under the hood, and some explanation of why there may be 'odd', but hopefully just new and interesting features.

- Replace PM system -> completed Aug 30
- Moving image hosting to Amazon S3 (lower server load, faster site) -> completed Sept 2
- Enabling Amazon Content Distribution Network (increase page loading speed) -> in progress
- Make full forum backup -> completed Sept 2
- Upgrade forum to version 2.1 -> completed Sept 2
- Rearrange Marketplace and possibly forums
- Recruit project managers for Imagebase, helmet databases, Ritterling project, news project - September
- Remove Social Features -> October, depending on result of poll
- Upgrade CMS system -> October
- Find and install alternatives for requested single features of Social system
- Install news/blogging system
- Assign site posting priviliges to Ritterling project manager and editors
- Install Joomla Collector -> after upgrade to CMS, and upon release of stable version
- Provide images and info from graphic databases to project managers
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks Jasper! We would be nowhere without you.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ritterling project
That's indeed a good idea. When it's finished, we may ask Le Bohec's articles, as additions; although his books will not yet be out of copyright by then, he and his publisher will see that it's not unreasonable to share the information with a forum that has already translated Ritterling.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jasper,

You've kept us going for a long time, and we appreciate it immensely! Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Forum upgrade complete. I'll probably try to find a new template that is better suited to the new 'engine', but that's not necessary now. FYI: upload sizes and previews have been increased.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper.

Why is it that when I try to view other peoples pictures all I get is a black rectangle with a sagmented circle in the middle. ??
Brian Stobbs
Other people's pictures where? Can you be a bit more descriptive?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
In the beginners section Patricks post on brow guards his images just come up as black rectangles, no enlargement of his pic's. In fact the segmented circle in the centre is rotating just like a utube video about to begin.
Brian Stobbs
I am getting the same in re-enactment and re-construction with the Feltwell Sword of Dave Akers.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Brian
Sounds like your browser isn't able to handle the lightbox used for enlargement. Which browser are you using and when is the last time you updated it?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper.

I have internet explorer version seven and all was well up until you have done updates to the site and everything was working fine up until today.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Brian
I do recommend you download and install a later version of IE or another modern browser such as Firefox or Chrome. Sooner or later you are going to find other websites not working properly, not to mention the fact that newer browsers are safer.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I found an award/medal component for Joomla that is actually being ported to the latest version! Medals might actually return!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hooray! Medals were a fun part of RAT!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
A feature of Facebook RAT is that links appear with a thumbnails of the link site. That would be a nice feature to include with links here if it didn't cost any extra. Also some sort of newsfeed that showed Facebook RAT postings might be interesting to link the two
together if possible. I view Facebook RAT as a recruiting tool for traditional RAT and it would be good to remind members to occasionally post links referring new people back here.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/