Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delete Please
Not getting any where, Admin please delete.
I've only had one guy offer help so far; tiberius aemilius naso.

I would love some more support here guys
Is there some kind of payment involved, or how does this work?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
No sorry, I'm only 17 Big Grin can't afford to pay people.

I won't be asking for anyone to dedicate that much time anyway, I'm not asking for much.

It's just a casual research jobby thing; we ask you to research something for us, or you just research whatever you want concerning the theme of the research.

Will people be expecting pay?
Quote:Will people be expecting pay?
Is it an open source/free (as in beer) game like 0 A.D. or is it commercial? RTW1 was certainly commercial so if v.2 is likewise then it's surprising if it doesn't already have a historical consultant on board. They're not stinting on the video trailer on their website so I think people would like to know where you're coming from (so to speak). Is this just crowd-sourcing the historical research to save money (sorry if that sounds cynical but, hey, you did ask :wink: )?

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Well you see, CA (the guys that make the game) is very famous (should I say infamous) for dubbing down their games to appeal to a wider range of the public. I want to create a mod for the game that will be entirely historical correct. BTW - Rome 2 will not be free, but my mod will be if that makes a difference :-)

PS. A mod is a community made project to modify aspects of a game. Just in case nobody knows Cool

To answer your question, I guess this is halfway between crowd-sourcing and out-sourcing. I want to do it with a particular group of people, expanding whenever possible, but there wont be pay involved, and it may sometimes be to the general public. If that answered your question at all :lol:
Quote:If that answered your question at all :lol:
Much clearer. Nothing wrong with mods (indeed, IL2 thrived on them and they often ended up being incorporated in later releases). At least we all now know where we stand ;-) Thanks for the clarification.

Mike Bishop

I don't play many video games. I have O AD. I don't have RTW and don't even know if it runs on Linux. So while I'd be interested in helping, I'm not sure whether I can.

If you're doing a strategic game, I'd suggest focusing on scenario differentiation, logistics, and victory conditions.

If you're doing a battle game, I'd suggest reading Sabin's book, deciding on no more than six to eight main unit types [Pike Infantry, Other Close-Order Infantry, Light Infantry, Cataphracted Cavalry, Other Close-Combat Cavalry, Light Cavalry, Elephants, Chariots, etc. are what I think of] and then defining some variations [superior experience, superior archery, superior armor, etc.] for each. Also figure out some way to get pauses in the combat.
You don't have to enjoy or even play computer games to be interested in helping me out here, you just have to enjoy researching ancient history.

BTW, what is Sabin's book? Could you please give me a link to where I could purchase it? Sounds interesting.

btw- mcbishop, would you maybe be interested in helping me out?
Quote:btw- mcbishop, would you maybe be interested in helping me out?
Sorry, but at the moment I am trying to prevent a bunch of guys from unintentionally blowing up a load of archaeology in the cause of hydrocarbon exploration, whilst proofreading one book, trying to finish another, planning three more, and cataloguing a load of finds, all 'urgent'. Did I mention decorating the kitchen? Thought not...

Mike Bishop

Wow, someone's busy. Ok, you can get out of it this time Tongue

thanks for helping me out on this thread anyways
Lost Battles by Philip Sabin.

He offers some insight on how battles may have been fought, and includes his reconstructions of several battles and somewhat abstract rules to play them by to understand them better. I think he may overstate the differences in morale, judging by the army sizes, and he doesn't address differences in armor, but his work is very much worth studying.
Would you, Marja Erwin, maybe like to do some research for this?

So far I have recruited two people, and one maybe, on this project. This is good, but I am definitely interested in gaining more.
I thought i had offered to help. But I also am interested in EXACTLY what stuff you would like researched?
can you spell it out for me???
thanks
What's your specialty?

Thanks for offering your help too Smile