Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite strategic tabletop games?
I got a used copy of the old S&T Punic Wars game several years ago.

It's not the most exiting game, but it's clear what the designers are aiming for, without the abstraction of Justinian or the complexity of Rise of the Roman Republic. I am tempted to go and make my own maps for each war, with more allies shown on each side, such as Massalia for the Romans and most of Gallia Cisalpina for the Carthaginians in the Second Punic War, and maybe special treasury points for the Spanish silver mines.

[Edit: of course, this is map-and-counters. But if you have favorite strategic-level miniatures games, feel free to share.]
I am currently searching for a strategic/operational scale wargame. Already own GBoH Caesar: Conquest of Gaul and Caesar: Civil wars, so I am good on the tactical scale.

Contemplating getting DG mini series Caesars CoG, or Vae Victis: Imperator, which covers the time from Marcus Aurelius to around 217 AD. It looks awesome and the artwork is incredible! 8-)

[Image: pic17860.jpg]

recently purchased DG Caesar in Gallia, a S&T game from the '90s. OK, but horrible support. :-x

Vae Victis has a large number of magazine folio games. Maybe they have one on the Punic Wars...not sure.
It is necessarily focused on the British Isles, and a board game, but Britannia is extremely good. Broader in scope than just the Romans, so if you're only interested in them you'll get fed up after a few turns.
Warhammer 40K. Oh Yes.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
40K would be tactical, wouldn't it? I wouldn't mind another thread on favorite tactical tabletop games.

Edit to clarify: A tactical game might represent one battle, or part of one battle. A strategic game would represent an entire campaign, or several campaigns, or an entire war. A tactical game might have rules for the role of archery, and the like, and it might have baggage train units but probably won't have supply or recruitment rules. A strategic game might have rules for diplomacy with independent cities, for supply, and so on. I figure if we're talking about what makes a good strategic game, it's going to be different from what makes a good tactical game. Thanks.
Quote:40K would be tactical, wouldn't it?
Strictly speaking yes, but there is Armageddon, Epic, and BFG etc., so you have something on all levels...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
A bit of a late reply to this post, but there is just one strategic boardgame of the Punic Wars that is all you'll ever need:

Avalon Hill's "Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage".

It's not just the best game of the war, it's one of the best wargames ever made.

Reprinted not many years ago by Valley Games, so still available.
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte