Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Thread - Making of my 1st belt :)
Where I have mentioned the bell cap how to by Jurjenius there is this item in the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden that I would consider might just be a piece of copper allow scrap left over from making just such caps.
[attachment=11492]Bcapscrap.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thank you so much Brian for all of the information. Here are some photos of the bell caps being made. I will use bell caps as such to attach the apron fittings, but for the belt plates I am afraid it is too late. I have three methods for making bell caps, all inspired by what has be done before me. The first produced my rough prototypes, which helped me to come up with this method shown in the photos. I later excluded a step in the second method to come up with my third method of making the bell caps.

The steps taken for my third method involved using the domed headed bolt to recess the brass plate. I would punch it so that the head was level with the steel base. Part of the brass is now cut, and I then use a tapered punch to cut the rest off. I now have a domed blank in which I set on some wood and use my pointed punch to form the hole in the middle. I get it just with to fit on the rivet. Tada!

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of this third method, but please enjoy and critique my second method as much is the same. The outcome with the third method generally produces a better result though.

Regards, Samuel.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Samuel J.
Samuel.
It's good to see your getting into those bell caps and I'm happy to know that some of my tips can be of help to those who like to take on this kind of work, it's all a matter of practice as with most things and at the end it gives one a sense of great achievement for when it comes to this gear you are the one who now knows just went into it all.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I\'ve just upladed Robert Norton\'s Belt making instructions Anonymous 0 1,119 09-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Last Post: Anonymous