Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mod inaction and the future
Have we come to the end of the original topic, then?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Just having noticed this thread, I have mixed feelings about the OP. I know that sometimes I get too rigid and enthusiastic. On the other hand, to have actual discussion between people who do not know each other well its necessary to have some way to rebuke people one disagrees with. Otherwise, the only possible response to something that one strongly disagrees with is silence, and people whose ideas aren't very good will seem to be convincing people because there is no serious criticism. And if there is no criticism, there is no scholarship (Keine Kritik, keine Wissenschaft?).

Irony, sarcasm, and polite but persistent questioning seem to work better than insults for allowing cordial but vigorous discussion. After entering graduate school, I discovered the shocking truth that professional historians and archaeologists are sometimes rude to each other offline Smile

Creating a new group of moderators seems like a good idea.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Not all the old moderators are leaving Staff. Three new ones in, a few old ones out. But sometimes terms of office should and do expire.

PS: What's OP, Original Post?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, original post (and the next few messages which turned the discussion into concerns about the tone of discussion on this forum). The internet seems nasty this year.

I do know of one person who has left RAT because they felt that trolling and sock-puppeting by another poster were not being addressed by the moderators. Its very hard to find the truth in situations like this, and to fairly balance responsibility, so I am being careful what I say.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I know of a couple, also, Sean. And that's one of the issues that has led to the policy change, after considerable discussion and decision-making on the part of the Staff. We should have much more streamlined editing in the future.

Thanks for the acronym clarification. ;-)

Sock-puppeting is hard to prove, even when the same IP is used by both suspects. And sometimes what's called trolling is just one person's being too thin-skinned or constantly prejudiced against someone else's posts. There are many egos and factors that enter into the equation when a community is as large and diverse as RAT.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Have we come to the end of the original topic, then?

I think it's time the thread was closed, do you not?
Yep, reckon so.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yikes. I've just read all the posts here. I'm surprised and sad that such things go on. I've been blissfully unaware. (I do think that sometimes the language barrier might be a reason for misunderstandings.)

I hope that the new mods and new policies will root out any such trollish behaviour in future, and I also hope that constructive criticism will be continue to be allowed.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Locked the topic.